jbstok

I'm upgrading the panel in the RV-8 I recently bought with a Dynon D-180. I have a couple of installation questions.

First, I have the 3 wire OAT probe, installed in the NACA duct under the right wing. I'm wondering what the difference is in wiring it into the EMS harness or the EFIS harness? I know it gets hooked up differently, but is it functionally the same? Is there some advantage to doing it one way rather than the other?

Second, I'm having some trouble deciding where to install the compass module. I know it needs to be on the same plane as the D-180 box, but can't decide where to locate it in the airframe. What have y'all done with it?

Thanks,

........JB

On our 7A we installed the remote compass on a bulkhead just forward of the vertical stab. We put the oat sensor under the horizontal stab and connected it to the remote compass, so it was part of the data bus. Work great, use a compass to ensure the magnetic fields are minimal where you install it and use brass hardware to secure.

I believe the EMS uses a two wire probe. The 3 wire probe inputs into the remote compass. I did a RV-8 a few years ago and mounted the compass under the vertical stab on the aft deck. Just needed to shim it slightly to align with the panel. The temp probe was located on an access cover on the fuselage under the horizontal stabilizer. Proved to be fairly accurate.

I put my remote compass

In the right wing, just under the wingtip on the outboard bulkhead, you could then put the OAT probe close to it under the wing to wire it in, one opinion anyway. I just installed my D180 and my OAT probe fit perfectly into my old pitot tube hole in the wing. I had to install a new pitot mast for the AOA. I am really liking the D180 FWIW.

Randy
8A

Thanks for the info guys.

Does anyone know if there is any functional difference between wiring the OAT probe into the EFIS or EMS harness?

There is no functional difference when you wire it to the EDC or one of the EMS GP pins.

You can have two temp probes connected to a D180, but they can't both be your OAT. You can hook an OAT to the EMS side and call it something different and display it, but it doesn't get used for TAS,% POWER, etc.