AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I want to know how are you configuring your instrument green, yellow and red arc with your Dynon, I have a RV-8 with Lycoming IO-360-M1B and Hartzell Prop 72" blended tip.

Problem is that engine doesn't comes with a good and complete manual so I am not sure about where to put limits arc for RPM, EGT, CHT, etc could you let me know what are you using.

Also I understand that my prop engine combination does not have rpm limit or not recomended rpm.

Waiting for your advice:)

Depends

Actually you need to look carefully at the Type Certificate sheets for your prop. The current (7497?) prop (a la Vans) doesn't have limitations for the 180 hp engine if the engine is completely stock (mags, etc...) but if you change compression or use electronic ignition, etc... then you will have some sort of limit (probably hard to specify it).

As for the basic engine limits, you can look up redlines etc... in the Lycoming manual. What I've done is start with pretty conservative numbers and then tweak after flying for a while.

For example.

I REALLY don't want to push my CHT's over 400 F although the redline is 500 so I put the yellow down to 400. If it gets their I start speeding up the climb or whatever.

I also would like to know about oil temp at 200 F. Same sort of thing.

Hi All,

Also I understand that my prop engine combination does not have rpm limit or not recomended rpm.

Waiting for your advice:)

Hi Fernando...

...we used my Van's gauges to help my buddy with all his green/yellow and redlines. Others have looked in a Mooney or Cherokee 180 and used those numbers.

David, 200* oil temp is just about perfect and don't worry even if it gets to 225...the redline is 250. If you want, put a yellow at 230 or so.

Regards,

David, 200* oil temp is just about perfect and don't worry even if it gets to 225...the redline is 250. If you want, put a yellow at 230 or so.

Pierre is right here. Oil should run hotter rather than cooler.
I like to see 195F to 210F.