Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I am installing a D-10A in my -4. I just read in the installation manual that the D-10A can output an altitude encoder signal. I would love to remove the blind encoder from behind my panel by taking advantage of this feature.

Does anyone know whether the Dynon unit can output a signal acceptable to my SL-70 transponder? I asked the Dynon folks today, but they are not sure whether or not the SL-70 is compatible with the D-10A.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi All,

I am installing a D-10A in my -4. I just read in the installation manual that the D-10A can output an altitude encoder signal. I would love to remove the blind encoder from behind my panel by taking advantage of this feature.

Does anyone know whether the Dynon unit can output a signal acceptable to my SL-70 transponder? I asked the Dynon folks today, but they are not sure whether or not the SL-70 is compatible with the D-10A.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

The GARMIN SL-70 accepts gray code and serial data both of which the DYNON D10A can send.

:cool:

Dean,

Actually, for the SL70 you should use Format 1 for the serial connection. (And also for the Gray Code if you were using the converter, but don't do that. Use the serial.)

-Robert
Dynon Avionics

Dean,

Actually, for the SL70 you should use Format 1 for the serial connection. (And also for the Gray Code if you were using the converter, but don't do that. Use the serial.)

-Robert
Dynon Avionics

Thanks. Will do. I thought Format 1 was only for use with a Serial to Parallel Converter. Thanks for the clarification.

This combo should work fine for you. One of my older RV6's flew with that exact combo (actually started life as one of the earliest D10's) for years without difficulty. The SL-70 is a great transponder...though out of production for awhile now.

Cheers,
Stein

What Stein said...

I recently installed a D-10A as a part of my panel upgrade and kept the good old SL-70 I've been running since 2003. Serial interface has worked without a hitch.

Locally we are required to have A TSO'd encoder source so I kept my blind encoder for that reason alone.

I would stay far away from that avionics shop and go to one that knows the rules and regulations. If they have that simple issue wrong, what other rule/reg are they getting wrong to your detriment?

Last edited:
I would stay far away from that avionics shop and go to one that knows the rules and regulations. If they have that simple issue wrong, what other rule/reg are they getting wrong to your detriment?

Unfortunately he didn't give his location. I think Canada requires more TSO'd stuff on E-AB than the US.