avi8tor50

Well Known Member
For those of you with Dynon D-100, EMS D10, Garmin 396/496and Garmin SL-30 I have some questions regarding installation.
I would like to be able to switch between GPS and SL 30 for input into EFIS and EMS. My understanding from the installation manual is to connect the output from the GPS and SL 30 to a SPDT switch and from there to the EMS D10. Thus there would be no direct connection between the GPS and SL 30 to the EFIS. The EFIS would get the info by way of the connections between the EMS and EFIS. Does this sound correct?

Also, I plan to have VANS fuel gauges and oil pressure monitor as backup. I have the resistive fuel senders. I am assuming that I can run input for fuel level and oil pressure to the EMS for the Stewart Warner transducer that VANS uses and from the connecting poles on the backs of VANS fuel gauges where the input from the fuel senders attach. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for your assistance.

Peter K
9A QB

A better way is to connect the SL-30 directly to the EFIS through Pin 22. You'll have to break this connection from the external data loader to do so. Then connect the GPS to Pin 19 in the EMS. It will share GPS info over the DSAB hookup--I assume you have the two instruments networked through DSAB--and work fine.

What I like about this setup is that you'll get winds aloft even when you're using the SL-30's output on the HSI. If you switch the input, you will get winds only when the GPS is providing the input. (This assumes you have an OAT probe on the D100, by the way).

By the way, I have a neat trick for data loading on these instrument. I found a 1/4-inch phone jack that has internal contacts that are made when there's no plug in the socket, but broken when a plug is present. This way I can feed the SL-30 to the EFIS but break that connection when the computer is hooked up. Same with the D-120, which still uses the EFIS output (from Pin 10) to its serial input (Pin 11/DB37 on the EMS) to send EFIS data to the engine monitor. Works great.

--Marc

A question about the D-100 and SL-30: The D-100 HSI has a primary and secondary bearing pointer. If I am using my Sl-30 for com, can I have the frequency of a VOR as the secondary and get bearing to the VOR while I am communicating on the primary frequency? Thanks.

-John

KPmarc said:
A better way is to connect the SL-30 directly to the EFIS through Pin 22. You'll have to break this connection from the external data loader to do so. Then connect the GPS to Pin 19 in the EMS. It will share GPS info over the DSAB hookup--I assume you have the two instruments networked through DSAB--and work fine.

Marc-
Thanks so much for your reply. Are you able to get the HSI on BOTH the EMS and EFIS. I thought I had read somewhere that you could not do that with hookup that you suggest and that a switch was required.
Have not wired everything yet but I plan to have the serial ports connected by way of the null modem and the DSAB connected.

My understanding is that when I wish to load software I will have to break the serial port connection (obviously) and break the connection with the SL 30 as well.

Peter

With this setup, you can have the GPS display on the EMS but not the SL-30's output. I'm told that when the DSAB goes bidirectional, this will be possible. (Could be wrong on that, but two-way DSAB is supposedly in the next firmware release, and that will give EFIS data on the EMS without the secondary serial hookup.)

[Second thought edit:]

If you want to have the SL-30 show on the D100 and D120 at the same time, you'd have to hook it up reverse of what I said: Place the SL-30 to the D120 and the GPS directly to the D100. I have not tested this configuration but I believe it will work.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Last edited:
Boomer:

The EFIS-D100 will display both secondary and primary VORs at the same time. The SL-30 doesn't care which com frequency you're using.

Now, it will not currently show VOR/ILS on the HSI with a GPS overlay.

--Marc