jacksel

Well Known Member
I'm planning to install the Dynon EFIS as the backup in my RV-7 panel. I'm thinking about the -10 specifically because I'm interested in the AOA indication. Does anyone have any experience with these systems (good or bad)? Are they accurate? Obviously they don't work like traditional AOA systems.

Traditional AOA?

I guess I'm not sure what a traditional AOA is like but the one on the Dynon in conjunction with their pitot tube works wonderfully!! Of course it has to be calibrated but it's really a snap. I find myself using it instead of the AS when landing now.

If you're retrofitting, you will have to either fashion a tube (ala Mel) or put Dynon's AOA/Pitot probe in and run some tubing.

My .02

I agree with Paul - it works quite well. Calibrating it was trivially easy, and it's accurate and low, mid, and max weights on my -6A. It's one of the things I like best about the Dynon, actually.

It directly measures AOA via the pitot and extra tube, so it's good at all weights
I have the D-6 but it works the same way. I like the audio warning tone.

+1 Sounds Great

The Dynon AOA works great, and IMHO the best part is the audible readout. Slow beeping, you getting close, fast beeping, you gonna stall. Looking at the readout not required at all.

I guess I'm not sure what a traditional AOA is like but the one on the Dynon in conjunction with their pitot tube works wonderfully!! Of course it has to be calibrated but it's really a snap. I find myself using it instead of the AS when landing now.

If you're retrofitting, you will have to either fashion a tube (ala Mel) or put Dynon's AOA/Pitot probe in and run some tubing.

My .02
Thanks for the reply Paul. I believe I will go for the -10. FYI: A traditional AOA system uses a movable vane on the exterior of the airplane which directly measures the direction of airflow. Very simple, but the calibrated pitot design on the Dynon looks nice and clean. I am thinking about not installing the Van's stall warning in my RV-7. I've been flying my RV-6 for 8 years without one and I can't say I feel a real need for it.