Ted Farmin

Well Known Member
Looking for input as to where you have installed the remote compass unit
for the Dynon, more specific, on the RV4.
Thanks
Ted

dynon compass mount

This is the bracket I fabricated and is mounted behind the rear seat bulkhead and the top skin.

resized-img_1554.jpg

I put mine several places on the RV-3 I used to own, but the one that worked best was under the empennage fairing, between the horz stabs. In that case, there were no lights, or trim servos back there to cause any problems.

The current RV-8 already has it's EDC mounted in the same place, though I do have some concern over the current that has to run to the tail position light. I haven't wired any of that up yet, so it's too soon to tell.

A couple notes about mounting it near the rear of the baggage compartment- If you have an aft mounted battery, the current through the battery cables will make your compass readings wacky. Also, if you stow anything ferrous in the baggage compartment, that may also mess up the readings. This just depends on how ferrous it is, and how close you put the EDC to the rear baggage wall.

Cheers,
Rusty

Dynon magnetometer

Here is one installation I saw. It appeared to be quite a practical location to me. I think I would want to modify it though so you could adjust the plane of the magnetometer more easily.

Steve

hpim003238ek.jpg