Kato's 8

Well Known Member
Hello VAF!
I have a inquiry for anyone. I purchased Dynon EGT/CHT probe kit about 1.5 years ago and just started to connectorize the probes to the harness wires.
Problem- The bag of male PIDG spade type terminals to be used on the thermocouple wire dont fit the female ones that are already connecterized by Dynon due to a Different protective cover. The ones supplied for me to connect are a sort of rectangular plastic cover with a slight hump but the ones on the probes are a round cover and even when you squish them flat, they dont marry together correctly. This is quite irritating as they are not easy to find.
Question: Did dynon change probes and I have old ones with old style connector covers and got new style male connectors for the other end or did I get new probes with old male connectors?
This shouldnt be an issue! My red cube flow meter wires use the same connectors and fit properly-the female slot cover slides inside the male spade outer cover cleanly!
Anyone have comments or wisdom on this?
Thanks

Here are 2 photos that shows the issue

299A14E5-34B8-4063-A113-6AD1C3CAEDA2-660-0000008DBDE1F77C_zps64eca074.jpg

69EDE554-FDF5-4455-8D57-D92FF5BEE907-660-0000008D72C129CF_zpsf8e408d4.jpg

OK, I got an answere from Mike at Dynon on this. It seems that I got a set of the old probes in my so called recent order kit that had new connector type. He said that the probes are the same and only the connectors differ. This seems to conflict with what Ive heard from folks here on VAF that they had problems with the older probes and when Dynon updated, the problems went away. Dont know if this is true or not. Anyway, If anyone out there is or has recently ordered the Dynon EMS or similar along with the Sensor kit, Be sure to check that the connectors on the probes are the same type as the ones sent to you to connect to the harness.

I had the same thing, I cut off the plastic guards from the connectors and put a piece of heat-shrink over it.

You can buy from Omega the correct type connectors that allow you to connect and disconnect the leads without cutting wires. When the EGT probes burn out you replace then, and reuse the omega connector. Makes life a tad easier.

Ace Hardware

I found the mate to the male terminal at my local Ace hardware.

I also found issues with the factory crimp on the probes so make sure they are crimped tight.

Thanks all for your help.
Greg, Im sorry you had the same issue but at least you werent alone! I though to do the same thing as you did but it was bugging me....ended up sending a not so nice email to Dynon and they are sending the correctly covered female connectors. I get to cut off the old and replace but at least they will connect with desired and intended protective covering. I cant understand why they either wouldnt have pulled the old ones and reconnectorize them, or send old male type connectors, Or send the new male and female connectors with instruction to cut off the old? At any rate, a somewhat simple issue causes confusion and irritation. I do whant to say that Mike at Dynon was very helpful and didnt waste any time sending me what I needed.

They probably assumed one could cut off the mismatched insulator and slide a piece of heatshrink over it as was done above.

Don't feel too bad. I unknowingly bought "short life" EGT probes from GRT and had to replace one at 120 hrs with the "long life" version. Only five more to go. Other than that, great product with free updates.