flickroll

Well Known Member
I am finally getting my avionics in the airplane and today powered up the EMS-D120 for the first time with all of the probes connected. Everything is indicating properly except the carb temp. All of the CHT's and EGT's and the oil temp were reading about 57 degrees F which was about the ambient in my hangar. The carb temp is reading about 45-50 degrees high. It was indicating around 105 deg F. I stuck the probe in ice water and it dropped to about 80, and then put a heat gun to it and it climbed up into the mid 100's before I took the heat gun off of it. So the probe is working except it reads high. I suspect a bum probe but thought I'd post here to see if anyone has had this problem, or if anyone has additional ideas to troubleshoot. I have the probe with the white/black wires which do not require the +5v excitation. Thanks...

Jim
You probably have the wrong sensor selected. Try the other ones and I'll bet that will fix it.
Regards,

What a bonehead I was. Today I changed the sensor type to the correct one and now the carb temp reads the same as the CHT's/EGT's/Oil Temp. Thanks for the advice....my only excuse is that it had been a long day and I was anxious to power it all up :)

Carb air temp

I also have had trouble with my Dynon carb sensor. Mine doesn't seem to work at all. It indicates -45 at the top with a green band below, a yellow band near the bottom, and then green band again. I've tried switching the wires, thinking I the +/- wrong, but that didn't help. I did try the different sensor options on the setup program too, but so far nothing has helped. I have the probe that doesn't require a resistor, but maybe I'll just put one in to see if that works. My plane is in the paint shop right now, so I can't do anymore experimenting until it's home, but since I've never flown a carbureted airplane that had a carb air temp indication, I can't say that I even miss it. When I get it back home I'll fool with it and get someone at Dynon to give me some advise, but I don't have a lot of confidence it will ever work. I probably need a new probe.

Scott
RV-8 Fastback