sonny junell

Well Known Member
I am installing a D10a & opting for the backup battery option.

This instrument will be my back up gyro.

I have a MGL map-1 that will act as a back up engine instrument.

I am wireing the map-1 off the D10 power wire "in-line fuse". I thought it would be nice to have the back up battery power the map-1 in case of of all electric failure.

I spoke with dynon and respect there response "do not alter the back up battery."

But I am still looking into.

The map-1 draws less 50mA, any one have some non-liability advice/idea.

The D180, at least, backup battery is ~16V. So there are some step-up electronics, and I doubt there is +12V coming "back out" of the power in line... but I may be wrong.

Personally I would avoid using the Dynon backup battery to power other things... If you think other areas need backup, then get insts with that ability. However, if you are determined, I am sure the Dynon pushes out some V on some sensor line (remote compass?) that you could try, albeit probably result will be a fried Dynon ;)

Andy

TruTrak has a battery backup for their ADI that is small, independent, and wired up via DB9. I believe its 12V.

Hacking into another vendor's solution for backup power is not an "approved solution" and may have very bad unintended consequences.

If you want one or more instruments to have a backup battery not integral to the unit, there is a way to wire a circuit for just those instruments and install a small gel-cell battery behind the panel dedicated to powering them. Checkout Aeroelectric Connection.

Last edited:
why don't you ask MGL?

they sell these:

BackupBattery12V 1.2 Ah sealed lead-acid backup battery (for Enigma), $30

Qty:

BackupBattery12V 2.5 Ah sealed lead-acid backup battery (for Odyssey), $40

I think they can help you get the wiring set up to put your map1 on one of these batteries. Seems a lot cheaper than a possibly ruined dynon?