redhawk

Well Known Member
I'm looking for opinions on the Dynon autopilot. I'll be using it with a D10A in my RV4, and before I make the big purchase for a 2 axis, just wanted to hear good/bad experiences with Dynon?
Thank you

Hi
I've got one in my -4 hooked up to a Skyview and it is working as nicely as the one I've got in the 777...That says a lot I would say..

The installation is fairly strait forward also.

Good luck, you won't regret it..

Bruno

I have done 1 x RV10, 2 x RV8, 1x RV6, and helped Jamie (will post soon no doubt) with his Skyview.

All of these systems when installed right and tuned up, perform VERY WELL. :)

Couple of tips, use the inner most hole you can without going over centre. Performance is vastly better that way.

If you can fit the AP74 as well, but the RV6 and and one 8 use just the D10A buttons and it is OK, but the AP74 is much nicer.

We use our RV10 for IFR ops and in serious IMC, pretty damned good :)

Why inner most hole?

Seems like more leverage would be obtained by using the out most hole away from the center axle, but maybe a slower response??

Will be tackling a similar project in Mar

Just curious

The servos operate at a constant torque (moment).

Moment = Force x Distance

Force = Moment / Distance

The hole farthest from the center of rotation provides the least amount of force to the control surface but will have longer travel per degree of rotation.

In my -8 I have both roll and pitch connected to the closest hole and they work very well.

With the latest firmware the legacy Series can be a great autopilot once tuned to your plane.

No vertical coupling modes yet but hopefully that will change soon.

I recommend the AP74. Not required but it makes for a nice interface.

Last edited:
As I mentioned above, use the inner most hole you can (usually middle), not sure how Ken managed to use the inner one without going over centre or limiting control travel, but maybe he could.

As for the torque, the servo is constant torque, the control force is at it greatest when the linkage is at right angles, the further from TDC as it were the force applied reduces, so getting that set up right is a good idea too ;)

In flight the A/P will only use a few degrees either side of centre so think about your linkages.

Totally off topic, but I have to reply to Brantel's description "Legendary Series." I like it! Internally we call them "Gen1", which is boring, and externally in our literature I write "D10/D100/D180 Series" which is awkward.

To add some content to this post, the "Legendary Series" and SkyView both use the same autopilot control algorithms, and we continue to work on both.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

As I mentioned above, use the inner most hole you can (usually middle), not sure how Ken managed to use the inner one without going over centre or limiting control travel, but maybe he could.

As for the torque, the servo is constant torque, the control force is at it greatest when the linkage is at right angles, the further from TDC as it were the force applied reduces, so getting that set up right is a good idea too ;)

In flight the A/P will only use a few degrees either side of centre so think about your linkages.

They don't even come close to over-center but I have hard stops installed too.

Another (good) data point to add. Very pleased with the performance of my Dynon AP. "Legendary" ;) system in an RV-6. D-100/D-10A/AP-74/SV-32s on outer holes (pitch with hard stop, roll without...couldn't fit it in).

Concur with Brian...latest firmware update nailed the pitch (earlier updates sqauared away roll), and it just does a great job now! I also like the AP-74 for ease of use. Good stuff all around!

Cheers,
Bob

Dynon are thinking about this apparently.

I have explained my reasons for thinking it is a good idea. In any IMC operations it is almost a must have, not a nice thing to have.

If they can adapt the current one it should be cost effective to do.

On balance, I wish I had a Skyview, but that's one thing I like about the older setup with the AP74 and HS34--four dedicated knobs: heading bug, OBS, altitude bug, and altimeter setting. These buttons always do the same thing, without any button presses required.

-Rob