N316RV

Well Known Member
I thought that there had already been a thread on this, but I could not find it. Of those already flying Dynon's autopilot, what are your thoughts and impressions? Time to write a check to them or Trio.
Thanks
Alan Jackson
RV-9A

Write Dynon a check. They are still working out some of the minor kinks but the good news is that the AP works well the way it is and will only get better with each software release.

As one of their beta testers, I'm way ahead on the software releases and the features and functions built into the Dynon are just outstanding.

The AP just gets better with every beta release and the dedicated beta testers are giving feedback that Dynon is incorporating their general releases.

(Sorry, I can't say much more than that.)

Alan,

Below are links to several threads in which the Dynon AP is discussed. Though some of the kinks Bill mentioned are discussed at length, there are also posts in them from those that are enjoying good success with their Dynon AP, so these threads point out the goods and the challenges (and the progress on them).

I have a Dynon AP and really like it. It took a little tweaking, but the tweaks have been very straightforward, and Dynon has been very helpful. As Bill said, the features are great, and in my case, the performance is solid. I also really like the AP-74 control module...adds some nice features and makes the AP a breeze to use.

There are other threads in which the merits of having a stand-alone AP are discussed, so your preference on that issue is another factor. But for bang-for-the-buck, my Dynon AP has been great! No experience with other RV APs, other than riding in a buddy's 9 with a TT (which was nice too), so this is just one perspective. Good luck with the choice, and have fun!

Links:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=36501&highlight=Dynon+Autopilot

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=39442&highlight=Dynon+Autopilot

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=37929&highlight=Dynon+Autopilot

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=39104&highlight=Dynon+Autopilot

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=38312&highlight=Dynon+Autopilot

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=36972&highlight=Dynon+Autopilot

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
I agree with Bob. We were both up tweaking the AP in his 6 and my 9A, and very straightforward. I don't have the AP74, but it is still pretty easy to change headings, altitudes etc. from the main D100 screen. If/when I have the extra $, I will probably spring for the AP74. Bottom line: good value for money.

greg

I'm still a good year away from writing that check, but I've decided to go with the Dynon for the same reasons cited here. I've already got the roll servo installed in the right wing. Current plan is a dual D100/120 and probably a 430W.

I'm about a month away from taking my plane to the airport. I just finished hooking up the ap. I have the 74 and I have to say, it's cool. I can turn on the D180 and rotate the knob for alt. I like that, because the first thing I do is reach to the alt and adjust the altitude, now I can do that without thinking on the rv. I guess gadgets can be plain out cool sometimes.

If I had to complain about anything on the Dynon ap(not sure if this is true with any of the others) is the fact that you feel the bumps in the servos in the stick when moving them with the system shut down. I hope I don't feel it when flying. It's like having that bumpy detent feel in the radio volume and you want to be inbetween the setting but it's on the top of the bump thing.

just my thoughts at the time being.

TT has it too

I notice that same bump in the Truetrack servo. If its more or less pronounced I don't know. Its pretty subtle so I doubt its noticable in flight with everything else going on - haven't flown it yet so I don't know.

If I had to complain about anything on the Dynon ap(not sure if this is true with any of the others) is the fact that you feel the bumps in the servos in the stick when moving them with the system shut down. I hope I don't feel it when flying.

I'm about a month away from taking my plane to the airport. I just finished hooking up the ap. I have the 74 and I have to say, it's cool. I can turn on the D180 and rotate the knob for alt. I like that, because the first thing I do is reach to the alt and adjust the altitude, now I can do that without thinking on the rv. I guess gadgets can be plain out cool sometimes.

If I had to complain about anything on the Dynon ap(not sure if this is true with any of the others) is the fact that you feel the bumps in the servos in the stick when moving them with the system shut down. I hope I don't feel it when flying. It's like having that bumpy detent feel in the radio volume and you want to be inbetween the setting but it's on the top of the bump thing.

just my thoughts at the time being.

Steve,

What I've seen so far with the Dynon AP is that when shut down, I can feel a very slight resistance from the servos (but it's very slight, with no bumps...in fact its a very smooth, albeit slightly mechanical, feel). When moving the controls I can also hear the servos moving...kinda like a little mechanical sound (I can make the noise better than I can describe it!). In flight however, I can't feel that resistance at all...with the AP off, it flies and feels just like it did before the install!

If I engage the AP on the ground in HDG and ALT (engine shutdown), I can hear the servos "clicking" or "bumping" a bit, as it adjusts to slight movements in the compass and/or altimeter readouts while sitting there on the ground. They can also be felt in the stick. However, those bumps and noises are not there at all in flight. Once you find the sweet spots in the sensitivity settings, it is very smooth with the AP on. Good stuff!

On that AP-74 knob...agree that is a nice feature. You probably know that it can adjust the heading bug, altitude bug and altimeter setting, and you just push the knob to cycle between them. You can set which parameter you want it to set first (with or without a push), and what order it cycles through them. I have mine set to change the heading bug without pushing it in...just like that for in-flight use. One push gives me altimeter setting (use that after start up), and two pushes gives me the altitude bug (figure I'll use/change that least often). But it's customizable, and the AP-74 really makes the system very user friendly.

Just wanted to pass some + feedback!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
.....and furthermore.....

....for all of you builders, go ahead and at least install the servo mounting brackets while the fuse and wing is still open. I've had to crane and twist and grunt to crawl back in my fuse to drill out rivets in order to put in my autopilot now, three years after completing my airplane..aaaargggh, what a pain. Never say never, that you're not going to have an autopilot....the next guy might and I'd even consider having the mounting plates a selling point:)

Regards,

....for all of you builders, go ahead and at least install the servo mounting brackets while the fuse and wing is still open. I've had to crane and twist and grunt to crawl back in my fuse to drill out rivets in order to put in my autopilot now, three years after completing my airplane..aaaargggh, what a pain. Never say never, that you're not going to have an autopilot....the next guy might and I'd even consider having the mounting plates a selling point:)

Regards,

I works nice also to have the kid crawl in there(25 years old) and let him do it.:D