JohnF

Well Known Member
I finished the autopilot installation and did the integration steps with the
D180. The various steps went well but I have one little thing....the override makes a considerable "clicking" noise when you override either the pitch or roll servo. I suspect that is entirely normal, but wondered if others found the same thing. Dynon didn't make any comment about clicks when overriding the AP

John

That is just the way it is with stepper motors.

Stepper motors are just a bunch of electromagnets arranged in a radial pattern around the rotor. What you are hearing is the rotor magnets jumping between stator magnets.

StepperMotorConstructionAllPhases1.gif

Brian, now that you're flying, have your explanations gotten more elaborate, or is that just my imagination? :D

There was another question that someone posted on another thread that might have some relevance here. I have no AP disconnect that's easily reachable from the back seat. In the event of some medical incapacitation that might relegate piloting duties to my passenger, can the AP (Tru-Trak) be disengaged by just ham-fisting the stick? Or, will it just bump-n-click like you described, never really disengaging?

Anybody know?

(Great graphic, BTW)

There is a disconnect switch on the Dynon system that just shuts down the servo electronically. If you press that button, it should just go limp....You can also just turn off the power to the servo and it should go limp. Turning off the power will cause the EFIS to throw a DSAB error so you might want to use the disconnect switch instead.

If you are manually overriding the servo by brute force, it would be normal to feel and hear the servo click as the rotor is rotated away from where it wants to be.

You want your max torque setting low enough that you can manually override the servo without breaking anything or bending pushrods, sticks etc. but not so low that the servo slips all the time in flight. An occasional slip in flight would be normal.

I finished the autopilot installation and did the integration steps with the
D180. The various steps went well but I have one little thing....the override makes a considerable "clicking" noise when you override either the pitch or roll servo. I suspect that is entirely normal, but wondered if others found the same thing. Dynon didn't make any comment about clicks when overriding the AP

John

It's normal, and depending on the torque setting of the servo it can be anything from a gentle click to a rather significant clunk at each step!

Cheers,
Stein

Dynon AP Servo Click

My pitch servo is in. Great. After the calibrations and sitting on the ground, when turn on the AP I hear and feel a jittering in the pitch axis and can see the stick move everso slightly. The event comes and goes about every five seconds. Granted there are no air loads on the airplane, but is this normal ?
phelps:confused: