Dgamble

Well Known Member
In one of the most masterful ever trades in the market of human barter, I traded the offer to help teach a recent RV-12 builder how to use his Garmin 496 and perhaps assist in the calibration of the autopilot in exchange for a little flying time. I got my 1.3 hours, he now knows how to get from A to B with his Garmin, and as an added bonus I recalibrated the trim indicator. However, I completely failed at the AP config. Following the manual, I started with AP Servo Configuration on page 8-14.

Step 1 - Configure DSAB was easy. Step 2- Servo Calibration and Servo Test was not.

Quoteth the guide: If Airspeed Color Thresholds have not been configured, Servo Calibration and Servo Test cannot proceed. Page 5-4 is referenced for performing that configuration. Page 5-4 has me look for the IASCLR menu item. I couldn't find such a menu item. Searching this forum, I think I found out why:

What those customizations do enable are presetting of many of the RV-12 airframe and configuration parameters. A subset of those are also unable to be adjusted from the setup menu. This includes things like IAS colors, where the OAT is connected, how the serial altitude encoder should transmit altitude to the transponder, the IAS/altitude units, and other things of that nature.
The problem is that when I go back to page 8-15 / 8-16 press the disconnect switch to continue (after seeing the message that "2 servo(s) found...", nothing happens. There should be more onscreen instructions according to the guide, but I never get any response at all when pressing the disconnect button.

Any help appreciated!

In one of the most masterful ever trades in the market of human barter, I traded the offer to help teach a recent RV-12 builder how to use his Garmin 496 and perhaps assist in the calibration of the autopilot in exchange for a little flying time. I got my 1.3 hours, he now knows how to get from A to B with his Garmin, and as an added bonus I recalibrated the trim indicator. However, I completely failed at the AP config. Following the manual, I started with AP Servo Configuration on page 8-14.

Step 1 - Configure DSAB was easy. Step 2- Servo Calibration and Servo Test was not.

Quoteth the guide: If Airspeed Color Thresholds have not been configured, Servo Calibration and Servo Test cannot proceed. Page 5-4 is referenced for performing that configuration. Page 5-4 has me look for the IASCLR menu item. I couldn't find such a menu item. Searching this forum, I think I found out why:

The problem is that when I go back to page 8-15 / 8-16 press the disconnect switch to continue (after seeing the message that "2 servo(s) found...", nothing happens. There should be more onscreen instructions according to the guide, but I never get any response at all when pressing the disconnect button.

Any help appreciated!

After doing the DSAB config, were you able to see the two servos in the the device list. It is possible that the servos are not connected properly.

Electrical problem?

Dave,
If you suspect an electrical problem, then with autopilot turned on during servo calibration and waiting for the disconnect button, measure the voltage (referenced to ground) on the white wire going to the disconnect button. It should go from high to low when the button is pressed.
If there is no voltage, then with the master switch off, separate the spliced white and yellow wires at the servo. Check resistance of the white wire to ground. It should be about 15kΩ and drop to zero when the button is pressed. If resistance is infinite, then there is a bad connection someplace.
I am reluctant to use an ohmmeter while the servo is connected because I do not know if the ohmmeter voltage will harm the servo. It might not but why take a chance.
Joe

I'm going to look at it again tomorrow. I'll confirm that both servos appear in the DSAB list (I believe that they did) and see if the problem is that the AP disconnect button isn't working.

Thanks!

Sounds to me like the servo's are never seeing the disconnect signal... This line must be taken to ground potential for the servo to sense a disconnect command. Joe is giving good advice above.

Disclaimer: This is how the normal system works. I have no idea how the "highly integrated" RV12 system works therefore I am not qualified to help you with the RV12, use my advice at your own risk.

I'm Going Crazy !

I can configure the a/p and servos; they are all shown as ACTIVE status, but when first powered on, the lights on the AP-74 come for one second then go out. The a/p never engages. If the Dynon D-180 is powered off with the a/p powered on, then the lights on the AP-74 come on and stay on, but the a/p doesn't engage then either.

I tried hooking up a laptop to the Dynon but most of the time the Dynon support program cannot find any instrument connected to the pc, and other times it says its getting unintelligible data from the D-180.

I still have a rock solid fuel pressure reading of 86-psi and a MAP of over 58-inches with no fuel pump on.

As an unnecessary layer of confusion the zipped unlock file from Van's doesn't seem to do anything, and the zip locker/unlocker program I purchased leaves me totally uncertain if the file was opened or not.

God ! I wish I had steam gauges !! I am seriously considering trashing the entire panel and putting them in.

John,

Your first paragraph is normal behavior in regards to how the lights work. Your AP is not properly configured or it would engage.

The AP74's lights all will come on if powered up without a bus master talking to them. If the lights go out that means your DSAB buss is working.

Steam has it's own set of issues and they won't fly your plane for you.

Sure wish you were closer, I would love to help you get that stuff working....

Last edited:
Here's the latest

Regarding the Garmin 496 not being detected by the D-180:

Lonnie cut open the splice between the white GPS OUT and the blue wire going to the ELT. The crimp was directly crimped onto the white wire's shielding. Checking the plans, he was working from Rev 3 of page 42-16 which was prior to the hint to look at section 5W regarding the proper method of working with shielded wires. Lonnie moved the shielding out of the way and stripped the inner white wire and crimped that to the blue wire. There was still no indication of GPS interaction with the D-180. Here are some screens showing the current config settings of the 496 and the D-180:

DSC01125.JPG

DSC01126.JPG

DSC01127.JPG

DSC01128.JPG

Here's the HSI page on the D-180. It shows (I think) that there is no GPS integration, no autopilot detected (it should say AP:OFF-OFF or something like that) and that the AP-74 is being detected (it's set to use the Value knob to edit the altimeter setting.)

DSC01130.JPG

Moving on to the autopilot, we ran through the DSAB configuration again to verify that all of the items were being detected.

Both servos were found (the other one identified as 2338, if I remember correctly):

DSC01121.JPG

The AP-74 was found:

DSC01123.JPG

Back in AP Servo Config, both servos were found:

DSC01129.JPG

Oddly, though, in AP Status, no servos were found:

DSC01131.JPG

That may mean everything, or it may mean nothing.

It seems that the next thing to try with the autopilot problem is to verify that the disconnect switch is working. I suspect this:

If there is no voltage, then with the master switch off, separate the spliced white and yellow wires at the servo. Check resistance of the white wire to ground. It should be about 15kΩ and drop to zero when the button is pressed. If resistance is infinite, then there is a bad connection someplace.

is the next thing to try.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next on the GPS. Having been initially wired into the EFT incorrectly, is there some type of reset that needs to be done?

Last edited:
I see the same problem that Dave (above) has...it appears that Dynon, in checking my D180 wiped out my settings, including the Van's locked settings. I cannot get the D180 to "talk" to my PC to run Van's program so its a Mexican standoff: Van's stuff was erased, and since I can't communicate with the D180 to restore them, I am stuck !

What a mess !!!

Last edited:
my D180 wiped out my settings

I think that might be Lonnie's problem too. I noticed that he didn't have any of the airspeed indicator colors that I tried to set with the IASCLR menu, and those need to be there for the servo config to work.

Now I have no access to the menu myself, but I don't know how to reset to the Van's standards. This is similar to the problems with not having a wiring diagram - it's nice that a lot of the picayune details of configuring somewhat complex interactions between the devices has been taken care of for us, but there's the question of what to do when things go wrong.

Surely in lieu of step-by-step instructions on how to restore to the defaults, there is some firmware update that can be applied, right?

Bad sending units?

JohnF,
Perhaps the MAP and Fuel Pressure sending units are bad. They could have been damaged during the hard landing. Have you tried replacing them? Other builders have had the fuel pressure sender fail. You could replace one of the sending units. If that fixes the problem, then replace the other one too.
Joe

map & pressure

No, Joe, they were not damaged. they worked just fine for almost an hour of running after the stall ... the D180 went haywire while in the air after that. They were running just fine in the air (for a while) when the "no oil pressue" alarm sounded (probably along with others, but I was too concerned to scan everything.)

I note that if on internal battery alone, master relay OFF, that those readings are zero fuel pressure, and 23-in map, which is what I would expect. When the master is turned on, they go to 85psi fuel pressure, and 58-in map, so there is an external problem and I doubt its the sensors because they were working just fine until into the first real flight.

I am going to try a different laptop computer tomorrow to see if I can re-establish communication with the Dynon.

Maybe, maybe, the loaner control panel will help sort things out.

DSAB CONFIGURATION ?

Dave,
After upgrading to version 5.4, have you done a DSAB CONFIGURATION?
Upgrading Dynon to a newer version makes it necessary to do a DSAB CONFIGURATION over again. Then the autopilot info shows up in the lower left hand corner of the EFIS and the Dynon Support Program shows all units.
Joe

Ground problem?

JohnF,
Unfortunately the RV-12 has only one ground wire going to the Dynon (Pin 3 of the EFIS 25-pin connector). If that wire has a loose connection, there is no backup wire. One could add a second ground wire to pin-5 of the Dynon EMS connector and connect the other end of the wire to a control board screw and also to the airframe. But if the Dynon ground pins are connected to the Dynon case, then the Dynon should be well grounded as long as the case is making good contact with mounting tray. Who knows?
Page 2-2 of the FlightDEK-D180 Installation Guide describes how to check for a good ground. I think that it would be worthwhile to do that test since the Dynon behaves strangely on aircraft power but works fine on internal power.
Joe

Last edited:
Dave,
After upgrading to version 5.4, have you done a DSAB CONFIGURATION?
Upgrading Dynon to a newer version makes it necessary to do a DSAB CONFIGURATION over again. Then the autopilot info shows up in the lower left hand corner of the EFIS and the Dynon Support Program shows all units.
Joe
Yes. It runs through the config and returns with "4 network devices found." I think that's also the screen that shows the laundry list of available stuff. I managed to fail to get a picture of the screen, but it included the servos and the AP-74.

It's the next step (Servo Calibration) that seems to be the sticking point. It seems that there are two things that can cause it to fail. First, the Dynon manual states that the IASCLR settings must be in place first. I can't confirm that they are because that menu is hidden. I didn't notice any airspeed colors while I was flying, but that could be because it was my first time flying behind the Dynon and I wasn't specifically looking. I'm not sure how to detect those on the ground when airspeed is zero.

The other possibility is a problem with the disconnect switch. It's up to Lonnie, but my preference would be to determine whether it's a software configuration problem first, then start digging around in the wiring.

One thing I could try is re-applying the 5.4 update and running the DSAB config again - do you think that might help?

"Detect Firmware Version"

One thing I could try is re-applying the 5.4 update and running the DSAB config again - do you think that might help?
I do not know but it is worth a try. When you run the Dynon Product Support Program 5.4, click the GO button for "Detect Firmware Version" to if the servos are detected.
Joe

First, the Dynon manual states that the IASCLR settings must be in place first. I can't confirm that they are because that menu is hidden. I didn't notice any airspeed colors while I was flying, but that could be because it was my first time flying behind the Dynon and I wasn't specifically looking. I'm not sure how to detect those on the ground when airspeed is zero.

You could use the pitot system test prescribed in the PAP. This raises the airspeed indication above zero...the range markings should be visible.

Dynon Problems

It took some doing, but I finally got a laptop to 'talk' to the D180 and reloaded 5.4 twice along with (finally!) Van's locked file.

That got my OAT back; restored the AST trim icon ('tho the white arrows are now 'bouncing' around - I had that before and it seems to be a problem with -an internal 'in-and-back-out' control board circuit.

I got the autopilot back and programed...that went well.

I still have the incorrect MAP and fuel pressure problem, but hope the loaner control board might solve that. More later.

Dynon

More on the never-ending saga of man vs machine.

I once had a problem with the trim tab icon's white arrows jumping around because the voltage from the center tab of the trim pot in the Ray Allen servo wasn't somehow "getting" into the Dynon, even though the proper voltage was being presented to the Dynon. A helpful hint from a forum member said to bypass the problem by shifting the wire from the servo (which did show voltage variations as the trim tab was moved) from its normal input over to pin #23 of the 37-pin connector. That worked just fine.

Now it doesn't. I still can move the servo full up and down in 22-seconds (and get zero t0 5.03 volts on the wht/grm wire from the servo that goes to pin #23) but the white arrows just keep jumping around, and the green line, is either full up or fulldown within the rectangular trim icon and cannot be set for its normal "takeoff" position.

Also one trim calibration window reports "No input has been selectged for the trim indicator function." But it has been selected. I have GP #3 input selected as "Elev Trim" -

The pins of the 31-pin connector are firm and the input from the Allen servo is present as measured with a voltmeter, but the Dynon doesn't recognize it.

It sure looks like a Dynon problem, but I am SURE open to hints/suggestions/whatever.

It still smells like an intermittent bad ground to me.

To rule out the Dynon, you need to trying things with another unit. There are enough RV-12 builders around that you should be able to find someone who is willing to let you try their Dynon box for a test. Where are you located?

Dynon

There was one other RV-12 builder in Denver but he moved out of state.

Grounds? I doubt it. I put grounds into two places that call for them, (pin#3 of the EFIS, and pin #5 of the EMS) and have grounded everything to everything else. The negative terminal of the battery to the Dynon ground is 3.6mv; Dynon on page 2-2 says it should be no greater than 5mv, so I am well in 'specs.'

I have double grounds from the control panel to the airframe. I am located in the mountains in south/central Colorado about 135 miles sw of DEN.

I've asked Van's and Dynon for their opinion also.

use Dynon case as reference

John,
It seems that your Dynon is getting the trim position signal from the trim pot. But there could be a grounding problem with your control board. So to make sure that the Dynon really is getting the trim input, I suggest that you verify the input to the Dynon EMS pin-23 again while moving the anti-servo trim tab. But this time use the Dynon case (not mounting tray) as the ground reference.
If that checks out OK, then I suspect that the problem is within the Dynon, either something is not set up correctly or else the Dynon needs repair. When you recently upgraded to version 5.4, did you use Van's lockout file version 5.4? The first time that I upgraded my Dynon, I used Van's old file (not 5.4) and got strange indications on the Dynon.
Assuming that pin 23 voltage is OK referenced to the Dynon case and that you used the correct Van's file, the only other thing that I can suggest is to re-calibrate the trim.
Also one trim calibration window reports "No input has been selected for the trim indicator function."
If you write down each button that you push to get the above message and post it, then I will push those same buttons on my Dynon. Then maybe I or others can offer suggestions.
Calibrate trim:
EMS (second button from right), More, Setup, More, Trim, Elev GP 3, Sel
Calibrate range first, then takeoff position.
Joe

Dynon

Joe, that series of buttons is what I used. But the "value" number never changes, but the voltage returned from the Allen servo does change from zero to 5.03-volts as trim is moved full range.

The "value" does not change while moving the trim tab, another indication of some oddity. The 'set take off' won't move the green line either, although sometime it is at the very top of the rectangular icon, other times at the very bottom, but no matter where the take off is set it will never be somewhere in the middle of the rectangle. When it was working the green line would end up at some point depending on what numerical value you left the "value" setting at; now it doesn't.

I will try measuring servo input at pin 23 against the Dynon case...that case is grounded to the airframe absolutely, but I'll try that.

JohnF

Fuel pressure

JohnF,
You mentioned having fuel pressure of 86psi. I disconnected the brown wires to my fuel pressure sending unit and then the fuel pressure reads 99.9psi. I measured 5vdc on one wire and 0vdc on the other.
With wires still disconnected and power off, the resistance across the sending unit measures 7Ω and the resistance to ground on the the zero-volt wire is 2Ω, (which seems high to me).
With the fuel pressure wires re-connected and power on, the wire that had 5vdc with open circuit, now dropped to 0.166vdc and fuel pressure is 0psi.
The above voltage and resistance readings might be helpful to you or others who are troubleshooting the fuel pressure transducer.
You mentioned connecting that extra ground wire to EMS pin-5. That should make the Dynon well grounded. There could be a grounding problem internal to the control board. The new board that you are waiting for should solve that unless there is a bad connection in one of the D-Sub connectors.
Another thing to try to fix the fuel pressure, is to determine which of the two brown wires is supposed to be grounded, then replace it with another ground wire connected to the same screw that you used to ground EMS pin-5. But I know that you are busy trying to fix the trim issue.
Joe

Dynon Support

John, have you tried calling Dynon support 425-402-0433 or 425-527-1449 about the trim issue? If the voltage measured right at pin 23 (referenced to the Dynon case) is varying between 0 and 5 volts but the display is not changing, then there is either a setup or a software or a hardware problem with the Dynon. And Dynon support should be able to offer advice, or else repair or exchange the D-180.
Joe

Dynon

I have communicated my problem to Dynon support; nothing back yet, nor from Vans.

I just ran out to the hangar and tried measuring the Allen servo return voltage at pin 23 on the 31-pin connector where it is connected against the case of the Dynon...same readings as when read against the airframe,zero to 5.03 volts as trim switch moved full up to full down.

The "Value" number never changes when calibrating the trim.

After doing another trim calib the green line is now 'locked' at the top of the trim icon, (can't be moved) and NOW THE WHITE ARROWS ARE STATIONARY BUT LOCKED at the top and don't move as the trim up/down is moved stop to stop. Prior to another (of many) setup calibrations, the white arrows always just bounced around.

I have even tried giving the Dynon a couple of knocks with my hand; nothing moves or changes.

Again, I agree this sure looks like some sort of weird ground problem, but short of welding things together they are solidly tied to each other and to the battery's negative terminal.

I used the EMS, MORE, SETUP, MORE, TRIM, ELEV GP3, SEL; seems normal.

The Range setup, works; that is, full up, next, full down, but Value not moving, but
ast tab moves correctly; the rest is moot...takeoff doesn't do anything to the green bar in the trim icon, and moving the trim switch doesn't do anything.

I'm getting tired of hearing myself say I wish I had steam gauges !

Pitch Trim

JohnF,
Have you verified that the anti-servo tab is moving the correct direction? I have a 50-50 chance of getting this right; the tab moves up when you press down (top of switch) and the tab moves down when you press up (bottom of switch). That is confusing. :)
According to my notes, the WHT/BLU wire at the trim servo should have 5vdc. If that is correct and the trim tab is moving the correct direction, I do not know what else to try except to replace the D-180 and see what happens.
Joe

Autopilot disconnect voltage

Dave Gamble,
How are you coming with the autopilot problem? I mentioned in a previous post that the white wire that connects to the servo should measure 15KΩ to ground. I should have written 5KΩ. I was able to measure the voltage on that white wire today. It was not easy with my feet on the left wing and my butt on the passenger seat and the pilot's control stick choking me, but I got my head under the panel where I could see and measured 3vdc. When I pushed the disconnect button in, the voltage dropped to zero.
Joe

Last edited:
Dynon

Yes, Joe, the tab moves correctly and did in flight and was repeatedly checked in the hangar. It moves stop to stop in 22-seconds and I can easily set the return voltage where it was when the unit was operating properly.

I tried to call Dynon and got only a request to leave a message for a call back. I agree, I would like to swap out the unit and will ask them for that very thing. I can't help but suspect that it didn't get a very good check out when I sent it to them.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Dynon

I saw someplace that stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Well, that's me; I reloaded 5.4 for the fifth time this morning, and guess what? Now the fuel pressure with nothing going on reads ZERO as it should, instead of the 68psi it was reading. I still have trim indicator problems, but Dynon gave me a hint that might (?) help. We'll see.

The Dynon hint didn't help. I still can not get the trim white arrows to move (they had been jumping around like crazy) and I cannot set the green take off bar. I cannot get the "Value" number to move when trying to set up the trim inicator, even though I have the proper voltage being returned from the Allen servo and fed into the proper place on the 31-pin connectror.

I know it looks like a bad ground, but that's been positively eliminated; all cables checked, pins in solidly; software reloaded repeatedly, Van's locked sw propeey loaded, yet this Dynon D180 is now beyond me.

Dynon said they were willing to swap units; I am more than anxious to do this because I am convinced mine is the problem.

Last edited:
Reading about all these problems with the Dynon being flaky, AP servos & AP74s not being detected and then the SW update creating units that don't do what they used to do, doesn't really make me feel confident about ordering the Avionics package.
After all that work put in I don't feel like being grounded because my EFIS is completely gone and I don't have backup gauges to just go flying while the electronics are being worked on. Really sounds like too much integration and way too much dependency on just one piece of electronics...

Joe -

We tested the voltage at the white wire with the Dynon in servo config mode and had no voltage at all. That would have driven us to the next step of trying the resistance of the wire down at the servo, but Lonnie wanted to talk to Dynon support first; that servo apparently isn't very easy to get at.

We still have the outstanding issue of the Garmin GPS not talking to the Dynon to work on. Lonnie recrimped the white GPS wire to blue ELT wire to ensure that the shielding wasn't touching the crimp, but it still wasn't working. He talked to Van's or Dynon today (I don't remember which) and was told that the blue and white wires should not be crimped together unless some $200 optional thingy was purchased. I'm kind of spotty on the exact details.

He's going to disconnect that wire next time he's at the airport and see if anything improves.

Dave Gamble,
How are you coming with the autopilot problem? I mentioned in a previous post that the white wire that connects to the servo should measure 15KΩ to ground. I should have written 5KΩ. I was able to measure the voltage on that white wire today. It was not easy with my feet on the left wing and my butt on the passenger seat and the pilot's control stick choking me, but I got my head under the panel where I could see and measured 3vdc. When I pushed the disconnect button in, the voltage dropped to zero.
Joe

Keep in mind while you're reading about Lonnie's problems that he has a relatively low serial number. He has already experienced one problem related to the mis-wiring of the wiring harness and it is possible that this is another. I think he's something like serial #18.

My thinking is that if this does turn out to be a problem with the harness, it is probably fixed by now. I think those of us with high serial numbers and high revision counts in our manuals have a lot to thank the early adopters for!

Software updates are easy to replace. The update process has you make a backup of your previous version, so you can always revert if you want to.

Reading about all these problems with the Dynon being flaky, AP servos & AP74s not being detected and then the SW update creating units that don't do what they used to do, doesn't really make me feel confident about ordering the Avionics package.
After all that work put in I don't feel like being grounded because my EFIS is completely gone and I don't have backup gauges to just go flying while the electronics are being worked on. Really sounds like too much integration and way too much dependency on just one piece of electronics...

checking the GPS data wire

Dave,
Did you see my post about checking the GPS data wire on page 3 of the "Dynon data download" thread?
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=475582&postcount=92
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=57384&page=3
The GPS data wire should have continuity to the points mentioned in the above link, but no continuity to ground.
That $200 optional thingy is the Cobham ME-183 Navigation Interface that stores the Latitude - Longitude. In the event that the ELT is activated, it retrieves the stored location and broadcasts it along with the distress signal. The exact GPS location helps to locate a downed aircraft.
Joe

While I cannot speak for the "Highly Integrated Switch/Control/Communication/Systems Panel" thingy that Van's designed and are building for the 12's, you need to understand that as a whole, the Dynon system is solid. Sure there are people that have problems (as does any system available) but when you factor the sheer numbers of units out there that people have no problems with you will find that they are quite reliable and easy to work with.

Who do you typically hear the most from? People having problems or the people that are not? It is very easy to draw the wrong conclusion if you do not investigate deep enough.

This goes for any of the mainstream EFIS makers, not just Dynon.

Last edited:
No, I hadn't seen those. Very helpful!

Dave,
Did you see my post about checking the GPS data wire on page 3 of the "Dynon data download" thread?
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=475582&postcount=92
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=57384&page=3
The GPS data wire should have continuity to the points mentioned in the above link, but no continuity to ground.
That $200 optional thingy is the Cobham ME-183 Navigation Interface that stores the Latitude - Longitude. In the event that the ELT is activated, it retrieves the stored location and broadcasts it along with the distress signal. The exact GPS location helps to locate a downed aircraft.
Joe

Keep in mind while you're reading about Lonnie's problems that he has a relatively low serial number. He has already experienced one problem related to the mis-wiring of the wiring harness and it is possible that this is another. I think he's something like serial #18.

My thinking is that if this does turn out to be a problem with the harness, it is probably fixed by now. I think those of us with high serial numbers and high revision counts in our manuals have a lot to thank the early adopters for!

Software updates are easy to replace. The update process has you make a backup of your previous version, so you can always revert if you want to.

I didn't know he had such a low number. That might then be the reason for this awkward process you are helping him to get through. I think I'll wait riveting my panel in until you have gotten to the Avionics package though. You are just ahead of me and so I would still have the chance to create my own problems by going a different route if you reported similar problems with your own installation ;-).
Good idea of Dynon to allow for a downgrade to the previous version. I wasn't aware of that either.

RV12 Servo configuration

My Ap74 is fitted to an Rv12. I am trying to set up my Autopilot to get the test flying done. Currently the D180 is at version 5.2.0 and I have decided to not upgrade yet until I understand the basics.
My problem is that when I get to the Servo Calibration I do not get any on screen instructions to follow. Also I notice that when I first switch on the system the AP74 panel lights up and immediately the lights go out. The central disengage button remains lit up throughout. I have tried following the instruction to switch off and have used the red button and the CWS/Value button on different occassions without making any progress
The DSAB has been configured and the AP74 shows as Active.
I must be doing/or not doing something stupidly simple!! Any ideas??

Currently the D180 is at version 5.2.0 and I have decided to not upgrade yet until I understand the basics.

My suggestion is to update to Version 5.4.3 before you try anything else. Why mess around with an obsolete version? 5.4.3 is on the Dynon website, along with complete instructions. The lock file is on the Van's website. Get both, then follow instructions to upgrade. I just did this yesterday while the plane is apart for condition inspection. Went smoothly.

Thanks guys.
I have had my laptop loaded with all the necessary software to upgarde for a week or so
Do you have any idea if this is a problem that will be cleared by upgrading?
Otherwise I might end up fighting even more demons!??

Thanks guys.
I have had my laptop loaded with all the necessary software to upgarde for a week or so
Do you have any idea if this is a problem that will be cleared by upgrading?
Otherwise I might end up fighting even more demons!??

Richardsmi,

Make sure that the software and lock file on your laptop is Version 5.4.3, not a previous version. Since you are an engineer you have probably already checked that, just be sure. Take the plunge and update the 180. Read/follow the Dynon instructions to the letter. Do not depend on batteries, have both the Dynon and the laptop on utility power. You don't want to end up sending the 180 back across the pond for service. When the software offers the option for a backup before the upgrade, do it. That way you can always fall back to the earlier version.

BTW, I believe if you call Dynon, they will ask you to upgrade to the latest version before spending a lot of time debugging. That is a common practice in the software industry.

As to whether this will fix all your problems, that's impossible to say, but it will head you in the right direction. Get the 180, the AP74, and the servos all up to 5.4.3 level, then try calibrating again. If problems persist, send us a detailed description of what you are seeing. If you can't get this solved over the wekend, you might want to call Dynon Tech Support on Monday.

John

John,

Thanks for that - I'm doing the calibration, then the fly off for the AP.

The Brits are a bit anal when it comes to things like this.

I am hoping to assist tomorrow or Monday.

We'll be back if we can't fettle it.

The upgrade to our D100/EMS120 in the 7 was simple enough. We went from 1.0.0 to 5.something - took a while !

Our 7 has a TruTrak which was interesting enough to set up - Thanks Mark :rolleyes:

Mike is probably right, so in the same vein here is some more info which might help you guys to help us.
In another attempt to get my AP74 operational I have been out to the hangar just now and taken the following notes:
Using EFIS> DSAB>Status it shows 4 devices inc AP74 (shows active) , Scrolling to SV32 it reads" Can provide Roll Servo, Pitch Servo, Status Active. Then going to CONFIGURE> CONFIGURE NOW> Nothing happens when pressing disconnect button(s).
Also using EFIS>MORE> SETUP> AP> Roll servo NOT installed message comes up, same for Pitch Servo, but shows AP74 Installed.
Then using Servo CALIBRATION> Centre joystick etc. but pressing Disconnect button(s) does nothing. Same by using the route through SERVO TEST!
In an attempt to gather as much info as possible I collected the info relating to switching things On & Off on the RV12 switch panel.
With Master switchON, Avionics OFF, Nav and Strobe OFF and AUTO PILOT switch ON the AP74 panel is fully lit up and Disconnect button is NOT lit, pressing the disconnect button does not put out/turn off the AP 74 lights. However if the NAV/STROBE switch is turned on the Disconnect button Lights UP.
I wonder if this gives some clues as to why the Servos are " Not Installed" because they are there and wired up??

One step at a time

Here is a thought. Each part of the autopilot has its own software. Even a servo has some type of software in it. The D-180 has its own software and the AP74 control head has its own software, etc. If you received your servos at a later date than your D180 then it may be possible that they have a different version of software on them. All the different parts of the hardware should have the same version of software. So if the servos have different software than the D180 then they may not work correctly. I know you don't want to go there but you should at least hook up a computer to the system and see if you can communicate with the system. If you can, you will be able to see what version software is on each piece of hardware. That will at least rule out this possible problem.;)

Thank you Jetguy, that is a very interesting train of thought which I am sure Mike and I will follow up as soon as we get together.
Richard