ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
So now that the basement is finished I can start back on my RV6A project again! Yay!

I've got the Gretz kit for a standard AN-mumblemumble heated pitot as well as the pitot itself installed in my left wing but would like to add the Dynon AOA pitot as well. I was thinking I could just install another Gretz kit in the next bay out; it seems reasonably easy to reach through the inspection plate so no problem there.

Any reason not to mount the pitot tube there? I'd put it on the right wing for symmetry, but that wing is closed up already.

Davepar said:
Why not replace the pitot you installed with the Dynon? One should be enough.

Dave

The Dynon unit is not heated, and since their EFIS requires airspeed for attitude computation, I would prefer to have pitot pressure supplied by a heated tube. The last thing I need is to have the pitot tube ice over, robbing me of the Dynon's attitude information along with my backup airspeed indicator.

Ah, yes. Dynon has yet to get that heated pitot going. I think I actually still have one on order from 2 years ago.

It was debated on this forum a while back whether a heated pitot was really needed, but I'm installing one.

I see nothing wrong with having the two pitots in one wing. You might run into problems finding enough room for the tubes and wires, but other than that...

Check with Dynon

I'd run your plan by Dynon. Their AOA calculation may assume that the pitot pressure will be coming from the Dynon pitot tube. It is possible that pulling the pitot from a different source could invalidate the way they calculate AOA.

I know that another manufacturer, who makes very expensive pitot tubes with AOA ports, does assume that the pitot and AOA signals will be coming from the same tube. Dynon may or may not do things the same way.

Kevin Horton said:
I'd run your plan by Dynon. Their AOA calculation may assume that the pitot pressure will be coming from the Dynon pitot tube. It is possible that pulling the pitot from a different source could invalidate the way they calculate AOA.

I know that another manufacturer, who makes very expensive pitot tubes with AOA ports, does assume that the pitot and AOA signals will be coming from the same tube. Dynon may or may not do things the same way.

Oooh! Good point - I will call them tommorow. I guess I wouldn't care so long as the "old fashioned" altimeter was on a heated pitot but I will to make sure.

Thanks!