David-aviator

Well Known Member
I finally got around to calibrating the Dynon D10A AOA this morning.

As previously demonstrated, the airplane stalls clean at about 53 KIAS and at about 50 with 20 degrees flaps. The Dynon requires 4 stall series to fix it's brain so I did 2 of each. I did not do the full power stalls. I don't like the extreme nose up attitude required to do it.

Anyway, after pushing the "finish" button I did an approach to stall clean and at 20 flaps, the indicator really works.

On final I used AOA for the first time and was able to make the approach at at least 5 knots slower than before. The bar was just before the green/yellow line and speed could have been backed off a bit more for sure. Landing roll out was shorter and that's good.

The system works!

Yes, you've got two tubes coming out of the Dynon pitot. One is the standard pitot pressure for the ASI, and the other is an angled port that senses differential pressure at different angles of attack. The AoA calculations require both lines, the ASI requires only the standard single line.

Erm

Frank you might know this. Just what is the nose up pitch for a full power stall in your RV?

Vertical I think..At least it is in a hammerhead..:)

Seriously Jim, I've never tested it..it would be pretty darn steep though.

Frank