BruceMe

Well Known Member
I recently repurchased (long story) an old D10 I origonally bought in 2004 (I picked the greatest b-day gives from my wife to myself)

So I want to hookup the AoA. But I'm cheap, and I don't want to install the Dynon AoA Probe. So I took a pictures of the probe blew it up about 3x then cut it out and lined it up with the full scale wing section in the plans. I found that about 2.6cm linearly aft of the tip or ~3.8cm if you go around the circumference. is the same angle as the AoA inlet on the probe.

So I marked the spot on a rib and labeled it... I plan to do the same thing the old RV-4 project says to do for the static port. Oversized pop-rivet half-pulled, remove the mandrel, plumb with tubing... Et Voila, poor man's AoA probe!

I'll post pictures on my blog and reference when I do it.

Sounds interesting---------wonder if you are going to bump into boundary layer issues?

I know AFS uses skin mounted sensor ports, but the Dynon unit is designed to be in clean air-------but that may be only for the pitot function.

Will be interested to hear how it works out.

Good luck---------experimental aviation at work :)

Last edited:
I took a slightly different approach - just installed a second port for the AOA adjacent to the pitot. Installed the Vans 1/4" aluminum tube but angled it down about 30 degrees. I've done this on two planes now, calibration and function of the AOA is flawless. Extra cost is approximately zero....

Steve
RV-4
Bearhawk 4PL

This is the approach that several RV-12 owners (myself included) have used. The AoA sense port is installed at a point that is 30 degrees off the chord line of the wing. There's a thread in the RV-12 section about it. I made the change over the winter and it works great.

I used a pop-rivet and tubing as you suggested. I was able to calibrate it and it does work, but is too "twitchy" to be reliable. I think I need to extend it further into clean air.