N941WR

Legacy Member
On Saturday I calibrated my Dynon AoA and that thing is amazing!

The calibration was easy, put it in Calibration mode and push the stick forward and back a few times (Five degrees, two up and two down) so the sensor knows what normal "bumps" are.

Then you have to perform four stalls, two power on, flaps up and down, and two power off, again, flaps up and down. To do this, you slow the airplane down, hit the stall button, perform the stall, recover, and wait for the 45 second count down timer to expire before hitting the button again and performing the next stall. If you don't complete the stall within the 45 seconds, just hit the button again and do it over.

That's all there is to it.

Dynon gives you some options after the AoA is calibrated. You can raise and lower the stall speed threshold to give you more or less warning, if you want.

You can also set when, or if, the audio warning comes on. I have mine set to give a low volume tone when in the yellow and a louder tone when at the stall.

Once calibrated, the chevrons are displayed on the screen.

This was so easy and accurate that it makes me want to go and play with stalls some more this coming weekend.

Thanks

Bill Thanks for the info. I like the Dynon Stuff, but never heard anything about the AOA and how it works. I bought the Dynon heated AOA Pitot and was just hoping it was as good as everything else Dynon has.

Again thanks for the report, i feel better about my desicion. :)

AOA is AOK

I'll second the report on the dynon AOA. Actually everything about the Dynon makes me smile painfully. The only thing that would improve the AOA setup would be if it was mounted on the dash in your line of site at short final. I find it distracting to have to look down when outside ques are most important. I don't have the audio hooked up which would help I s'pose.

I agree

I too agree that Dynon has made it easy to calibrate and it appears to be right on in use. Although I thought it takes 2 pilots to operate it. (10A)One to fly the plane and one to call out the AOA info. The little strip is tiny to look at and interpruet while in the landing phase.
I asked Dynon about this at Oshkosh, they agreed, and suggested the new software download which enlarges and overlays the pointer, etc. Also, he really suggested hooking up the audio output so you don't have to look at all.
Sounds like Bill found this to really work.
I mentioned to dynon about seeing an aftermarket remote LED unit from another vendor and the rep said they didn't know about it.
I promptly faxed them a info sheet once I returned from Oshkosh.
I purchased a new intercom, PS PM3000 stereo intercom to be able to input the audio from the dynon. One purchase always seems to lead to another, :rolleyes:

Bob Martin said:
...Although I thought it takes 2 pilots to operate it. (10A)One to fly the plane and one to call out the AOA info. The little strip is tiny to look at and interpruet while in the landing phase.
I asked Dynon about this at Oshkosh, they agreed, and suggested the new software download which enlarges and overlays the pointer, etc...
I don't know about the D10A as I have the D100 with the new software in my -9. From what I've seen, there is no need for a second person to calibrate the thing or to "call out the AoA info". It was as simple as slowing the plane down, pressing the button, stalling the plane, and then doing the next stall.

The easiest way to do it is to slow the plane down to 5 above the stall +/-, hit the button, and then perform the stall. Same with power on stalls, slow it down close to the stall, hit the button, go to full power, and pull the nose up. It won't take long to stall and the results are the same as if you went from cruise to full power and then pulled back. Maybe not as dramatic (or fun?) but the AoA won't know the difference.

Remember to give yourself lots of altitude and to make clearing turns before performing the stalls.

Dynon D10A: AOA calibration

Dynon gives you some options after the AoA is calibrated. You can raise and lower the stall speed threshold to give you more or less warning, if you want.

Bill (and other D10A users),

Regarding the statement above: I've just downloaded v4 of the D10A firmware and I'm planning on doing my AOA calibration tomorrow. Does the manual adjustment that you refer to mean that I can increment/decrement the 'clean' and 'dirty' stall speed figures as I see fit?

If so, is it also possible to initialize them to a given value before initiating the calibration process?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Regards,

Last edited:
Leonard,

Stand by for more info. I may have miss-stated that post and am waiting to hear from Dynon. (I sent them the link to this post so maybe they will chime in with the correct answer.)

I do know I need to recalibrate my AoA, which I have not done since the flight that generated this post.

Sorry about any possible confusion.

Bill (and other D10A users),

Regarding the statement above: I've just downloaded v4 of the D10A firmware and I'm planning on doing my AOA calibration tomorrow. Does the manual adjustment that you refer to mean that I can increment/decrement the 'clean' and 'dirty' stall speed figures as I see fit?

If so, is it also possible to initialize them to a given value before initiating the calibration process?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Regards,

Hello,

It's not actually possible to manually enter your stall speeds prior to AOA calibration since the calibration actually records the pressure being applied to the pitot and AOA ports at the time the button is pressed in the calibration process to indicate a stall. From there on out, once calibrated, we monitor the pressure on those ports and as the pressure gets closer or farther from the pressure recorded at the time of stall, the AOA bar will indicate up or down as such.

What Bill was referring to with the audio warning has to do with where the AOA bar is when the warning begin to go off. Your choices are as follows:

ON AT: RED
YLW TOP
YLW MID
YLW BTM

What this means is that the AOA alarm will begin to go off at the bar level specified.

Another feature you have is a minimum speed alarm which is user defined. As it sounds, an audible alarm will sound when the speed drops below the specified threshold.

Hope this helps ;)

Dynon

Bill,
Thanks for the report. I've had Dynon for a few years and have not gotten around to calibrating AOA. You've motivated me to get it done. Thanks.