From what I remember reading, the downsides to the Dynon AOA are:
1. The display is small.
2. It's not in your line of sight while landing. Some people mount the Advanced AOA right on the glare shield.

Dave

I would agree with the #2, but at only $199.00 (since i already have the D10) it's alot cheaper than the AOA PRO or AOA Sport.

Very true. For $900, I'd expect the AOA Sport to do a lot more than what it does.

On the other hand, I've never heard anybody rave about the Dynon AOA functionality. There are lots of AOA Pro/Sport fans out there.

You should try posting the question on the Dynon forum.

Davepar said:
Very true. For $900, I'd expect the AOA Sport to do a lot more than what it does.
Anyone read Ken Scott's RVator article this month about giving a demo ride at OSH, having to swing wide to avoid some dork who cut him off...and then tightening the turn to make the runway? I wasn't going to put an AOA in, but it's starting to sound like a great investment.

Heck, I can pay for a lot of it with the money I save by not buying a pneumatic squeezer.;)

buy the pneu squeezer to finish the build, then sell it to buy the AOA!

i think AOA's are well worth the money. i've haven't flown one, but from what i've read, i will have one in my airplane in the end!

:)

AOA-one of the best instruments

AOA provides an excellent cross-check to optimize performance and safety in almost all aspects of flight! It is useful in monitoring the margin above stall speed throughout the entire envelope. It is also a quick reference for setting max endurance, max range, approach speeds, and best climb angle speeds.

AOA, unlike airspeed, gives the same indication of stall regardless of weight or AOB. Since apparent weight increases with AOB, stall speed increases in a level turn, but most people don't relate increased AOB with increase stall speed, hence the dreaded approach-turn stall. The AOA indicator gives you the indication of where you are at at that moment, whereas each AOB has a different stall airspeed. Much easier to look at one instrument and see exactly where you are than interpret an airspeed.

For the landing pattern, AOA allows you to fly one instrument and therefore not have to worry about changes in weight, flap position or AOB. No need to worry about different landing speeds at gross or near-empty weight or if you forget to set the flaps.

Great tool that I will have in my airplane.

Take care,

Jim

No sound

The Advanced Flight Systems AOA talks to you: "Angle - Angle - Push" but I don't believe the Dynon AOA does this in the D10. Dynon have promised it for future models, but I don't know if they have delivered yet.

I would not fly with out it!

Hi there,
I got my first introduction to AOA with Jerry Vangrunsen. He put me in the front of his RV8A and we went flying. Jerry has the PRO AOA in his 8A. After the demo I was sold in the idea that I had to have one in my RV6, specially with all the transition traininig that I do. I installed the AOA sport in my RV6 and I have to say, that everyone that has flown with me in the last year will tell you that it is money in the bank. I will bank my RV6 about 60 degrees and load up the wings, when she starts screaming at you "angle, angle....push" take a glance at your airspeed and you may be indicating 100MPH. If you don't lower the nose...Shortly after that she will STALL!
BTW I don't sell this product, but I stand by it.
Alex De Dominicis
www.rvtraining.com