David-aviator

Well Known Member
I was flying with a friend this morning and we climbed to 6500' to do a stall series to give him a feel for the RV-7A. (and find some cool air) Another purpose was to check the Dynon AOA one more time. He flew the airplane and I observed the instruments calling out airspeed as it fell off.

At 51 knots, just as the AOA went from the yellow band into red, the aircraft stalled. The instrument is right on.

I've been fine tuning a steep approach over some trees using 60 KIAS with the AOA showing about mid range in the green. I do believe it is a safe wings level maneuver but does need some adjustment if there is a need to bank and increase G load. The AOA reacts instantly by moving up into the yellow range. It is a very subtle thing, slipping toward a stall, and one needs to be aware of it to be safe, with or without the AOA.

In contrast, I have calibrated my AOA that is part of GRT to show Red at least a couple of knots earlier then the actual stall take place. I don't know if Dynon is calibrate able or not but I would have like it to go red some what prior to aircraft stalling. Needless to say that I only go/look at those signes (Green, Yellow and Red) only when I am asked what they are :)

Advance AOA

My Advance goes red before the stall to get your attention before it happens. It stalls at the last red bar.

Does anyone know whether they have any aural warnings sourced from the AOA reading in the Skyview system?

There is currently no audio coming from SkyView. Which, for me, makes the AOA useless. For the past 50 hours I have tried to incorporate the indicator in my scan, but with no success.