Dynon

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Dynon just got my business

Great news! It was G3X over Skyview for me solely because of the VPX interface. No contest now...

Dynon - VPX

Very nice to see this happen! Not so nice to see the licenseing fee, but hey someone's gotta pay for the programing.
It might as well be the end-user; right? Not complaining just saying. :rolleyes: Early 2012 works perfectly for me.
Thanks for coming together to get this done boys.

Interesting..... I don't believe AFS, GRT, or MGL charge a fee.

One of the assessments I had made (privately) to Dynon when they were analyzing VP support was that most of the benefit is VP's, while most of the work (and support) is Dynon's.

Charging a modest fee in order to use the Dynon SV system with VP is an excellent value. I'm sure that it will not make anyone at Dynon rich, just help offset some development and support costs.

The SV system is ideal for VP support because of the built-in redundancy of the SV Network and the ability to have redundant connections on all of the serial ports. A single point failure of an SV screen allows a second one to take over automatically. Given that the EFIS are controlling your primary electrical system, this is a good thing!

When I was in the semiconductor industry, I once attended a fancy off-site marketing seminar that cost our company lots of $$. I recall one thing of value that I took away from this 2-day seminar:

Q-"How do you decide if a feature should be included in a product?"
A-"If you can make more money with it!"

Dynon's EFIS market share is more than all of the other EFIS vendors combined in our market segment. They've made some good decisions along the way. They also have made VP very happy, I think!

V

It wouldn't surprise me to see Dynon come out with their own unit, but perhaps this is not their forte.

Love to see VP add light dimmer capability.

The intent is that our mutual customers are the ones who benefit the most. :D

With VP-X support, we think $275 is fair for a software application nicely integrated into the SkyView system. I can't really look our developers in the eyes and tell them their effort is worth nothing. And while I hope all customers will buy the VP-X, I don't think all will. Most of our other software features are used by everyone.

Dynon tries to offer top quality products for total system prices that allow as many people as possible to build and fly. With 3.0 release we are charging for our GPS Navigation Software, which is only $500 per airplane, regardless of how many SkyView displays are installed. For our International customers the same will be true for Jeppesen data updates. (In the US, of course, our FAA 28-Day updates are free which is huge.)

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

Last edited:
Mike,
With the 3.0 release of SkyView, you can use the dimmer output from SkyView to control your panel lights if you wish. This is an output that tracks the brightness of the SkyView screen, which can be manually or automatically controlled.

It always tracks the % brightness of the SkyView screen 1:1, it doesn't give the user any individual control though. It is a PWM output that is a switch to ground.

Out of, say, $50K to $75K total out-of-pocket build cost...I don't worry about the odd extra $200 or $300 here and there. I'm very happy to see this announcement, I was going to use Dynon + VP anyway and this makes it much better.

Without even reading the comments... YES!!!! Thank you for listening Dynon!!! It was going to be G3X, no longer!!! :D:D

Got the email from Robert yesterday at work, saw the subject but couldn't even read the body before I had to go earn some $$ to actually pay for the plane...

This announcement certainly ensures I'll have a three-screen Dynon in the -9A. IT's integrated so nicely with everything I want, great value for money, and now with VP-X support, makes the wiring task that much easier. As for charging or licensing the use of the VP-X on SkyView, I don't think that's out of line, and it's certainly a modest charge when you take into account just how much the airplane costs over time. If Dynon were't to charge us a couple of hundred extra for those features we do want - thereby allowing us to pick and choose - they'd probably end up increasing the cost of the base SkyView system to have it carry those features that not necessarily everyone wants.

A big thanks to those at Dynon who've made the decision to support the VP-X. :)

Last edited:
Love to see VP add light dimmer capability.

Mike, we do have dimming capability in the VP-200. The problem is the user interface. You can dim it from the soft keys on the screen, but you have to dig through some menus to get to it. It's not too bad really, but at the end of the day it's much easier to just have a knob to grab and turn.

So we determined that adding a dimmer in series between the VP-X and the light would be as simple or simpler than having to wire in a knob input to the VP-X.

Mike, we do have dimming capability in the VP-200. The problem is the user interface. You can dim it from the soft keys on the screen, but you have to dig through some menus to get to it. It's not too bad really, but at the end of the day it's much easier to just have a knob to grab and turn.

So we determined that adding a dimmer in series between the VP-X and the light would be as simple or simpler than having to wire in a knob input to the VP-X.

So say I wanted to run LED lights under the glare sheild, I could power them off the VP-X, and then run a rheostat instead of a switch with the rest of the toggle switches?

Yes, you would wire the rheostat in between the VP-X and the lights. You set the circuit to be 'always on' and the rheostat/dimmer module is used to turn the lights on and off. There is some guidance in the installation manaul.

Please contact us directly if you have any specific questions - I don't want to hijack this thread. :)

Yes, you would wire the rheostat in between the VP-X and the lights. You set the circuit to be 'always on' and the rheostat/dimmer module is used to turn the lights on and off. There is some guidance in the installation manaul.

Please contact us directly if you have any specific questions - I don't want to hijack this thread. :)

No worries, I'm way out from buying my panel... but this news is FANTASTIC. Can't wait to see some screen shots.

This is great news!

Glad to hear vertical power is now available for the skyview. This makes for an easy decision. Now I just need to figure out what components I want/need. Thanks for the update!

Last edited:
Skyview and VP-X

Any update on the timing of the release of the firmware update for Skyview to 'work' with VP-X. I have all my 'boxes', am finalizing my design (using VP's new online planning software - which is awesome and really made the planning process easy...Great Work VP!!!) and planning to proceed as if the coordination exists.

Dynon has formally committed to have the VP-X integration done by the end of 2011. Until then, you can still configure and use the VP-X. Here is a thread showing what does and does not work until the integration is complete. http://www.verticalpower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748 I have seen development screen shots of the VP-X page on the SkyView and it looks pretty good.

Dynon is also working on a generic data output format that we will support in the VP-200 later this year. So you'll have VP-200/SkyView integration later this year too.

Bottom line is both will work in the near future and either is a good choice. :D