woodmanrog

Well Known Member
A friend of mine has upgraded his panel and is unable to get his new Dynon Skyview to communicate with the new Garmin 480. Everything seems to be connected correctly but to no avail. I was told that neither Dynon or Garmin is co-operating in getting the problem resolved. Any ideas? I know you guys will come up with the solution. My first thought is a programing problem somewhere but I am really not very knowledgeable when it comes to electronics I haven't worked with.
Thanks,
Woodman

Maybe similar to 480 w/ GRT

Here are the 480 setting I used to get connectivity between my GNS480 and GRT EFIS. Not sure if this will help but it may get you a little closer. When you're checking your settings, make sure the Baud rate on the 480 matches the requirements on the Dynon.

(I couldn't figure out how to get the columns to line up, so I'm adding some periods on the lines for spacing)
GNS480 Serial Ports
Channel....RX........Baud.......TX............Baud
1.............FADC......9600......MAPCOM.....9600
2.............NONE........0.........NONE...........0
3.............IRDA.......9600.......IRDA..........9600
4.............NONE.........0.........NONE...........0
5.............SL30........9600......MAPCOM......9600
6.............GTX32......9600......GTX32.........9600
7.............NONE.......0
8.............NONE.......0

ARC 429
CH-IN........SEL.........SPEED.....SDI
1..............ADC.........LOW........ALL
2..............EFIS.........LOW.......SYS1
3..............NONE.......NONE.......ALL

CH-OUT........SEL.........SPEED.....SDI
1..............ARINC429......LOW........ALL
2.............ARINC429.......LOW.......ALL

On the CH-OUT settings, I have a note where CH1 is labeled VOR ILS and CH2 is labeled GAMMA 429. Without pulling up the config pages on the 480, I don't know if those labels may have changed when I did a software update on the 480.

I don't recall what Serial port 5 really does. I've got a SL40 but I don't ever use any communication between the 480 & SL40. Also, Serial port 6 may not really do anything. My encoder data use to pass through the 480 to a GTX327 but when I upgraded to a GTX330, I re-wired it to send the encoder data straight to the 480

Last edited:
This gentleman has posted on our forum a few times, and we're doing our best to help him. Ultimately, his only issue is that his 480 doesn't have a good satellite lock, so the SkyView can't show position. This is 100% expected. The SkyView is showing that it's getting good data from the 480, but the 480 is telling us it doesn't yet have a 3D lock. The first time he asked us he was in a hangar with no lock at all on the 480, wondering why SkyView had no idea where it was!

Here's the thread for anyone interested:
dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1325611041

Thank you

guys for the feedback. I especially would like to thank Dynon support for the response. I read the forum and your feedback is succinct and clear. I will be at the airport today and will show your responses to my friend and hopefully he can get the issues worked out. The panel is beautiful and I do understand his frustration in investing so much time and cash and having something not work. But in the words of Larry the Cable Guy, "We'll git 'er done!"
Thanks again
Doug's forums again proving a rediculously small donation pays for itself.
Woodman