leeschaumberg

Well Known Member
I've been told hand held GPS's can be used with the D180 for GPS. The Lawrence Airmap 600C or the Garmin 96C. If this is right I could use the GPS's in the car too. Has anyone done this? Thanks in advance

Lee,

I have a 496 tied into my D100 and it works great.

Like you, I have taken trips, removed the GPS and used it find a hotel and other locations. That functionality is kind of hard to do with some of Dynon's competitors.

The 496 will also provide a vertical navigation feed to the Dynon through the HSI display and/or directly on the artificial horizon.

You will have to buy the cable from Garmin to tie it all together but it isn't that expensive. With that cable the 496 will power up and down with the rest of your instruments.

Another great feature is your Dynon and your GPS both have internal battery backups, should your electrical system go Tango Uniform.

All in all a great setup.

Oh, and if you ever want to add an autopilot, the D180 can drive it and alll you will have to do is spend the money on the servos, which cost $750 each. So, for $1,500 you can have a two axis autopilot.

I've been told hand held GPS's can be used with the D180 for GPS. The Lawrence Airmap 600C or the Garmin 96C. If this is right I could use the GPS's in the car too. Has anyone done this? Thanks in advance

Lee,

I have the 96C and D180 in my RV-3. Works just fine for displaying winds aloft. Haven't tried any of the other features.

Tony

Bill & Tony
Thanks for the reply. The proper term for not working is tango india tango siera uniform papa! All of the devices have battery back up. With mode c from the becker transponder the new autopilot will be able to maintain altitude.

I got mine working!

My Lowrance 600C drives both my Dynon D-180 and my Trio EZ-Pilot. The cable for the 600C costs $50 with shipping from Spuce. The output you want is on a single wire from the 600C. I split the signal between the Trio and the Dynon via a terminal strip from Radio Shack.

I also tried to get it to talk to the GTX-327 transponder but no dice. The transponder wants a different type of signal than the GPS puts out. Turns out this is not a big deal though.

I want everything in mph. I set the Dynon and the 600C to mph no problem. The Trio has no setting and it reads in knots no matter what. Here is the story from Trio:

"As strange as it may seem, the NMEA data output from GPS receivers is always in Knots, no matter what you set the display to read. This probably goes back to the fact that NMEA was originally designed to be a marine standard (they measure speed only in knots) and they made no provision in the format for a field to indicate other units of measure. This also turns out to be good for us, as we use the groundspeed to determine the IDS (Intercept Distance) when the EZ Pilot transitions from the Intercept mode to the Track mode, and we wouldn?t want that to be in mph, since there is no field in the data structure to inform the autopilot of that. Other equipment that interfaces to GPS systems also rely on this conformity to the NMEA specification.

We have had this question posed to us by customers in Europe as well. Over there they can also program their screens to indicate speed in KPH (Kilometers per Hour).- and the data output continues to be in knots."

OK, I went way off topic there. The answer to your question is YES!

Kelly Johnson
RV-9A
Finishing

One other thing

Lee,

Think about how you are going to tie the Dynon's audio out (tone only for the D180) to your intercom.

This will give you out of bounds warning tone on engine parameters and other things. In my case, I tied it to the Icom radio's mono inputs.

Dynon playing nice with AvMap

Finally getting around to wiring my panel.

I'm thinking I want to hook my AvMap GPS to my Dynon 180. Am I correct to assume hooking the Yellow TXA wire on the AvMap 4 wire plug is the correct input to the Dynon 180 TX pin 22 yellow.

Any help would be great, Thanks

Brian,
That will work. Make sure you turn NMEA output "ON" in your AVMAP. I have the same combination in my aircraft. Everyone remarks about the Avmap screen size.

Avmap sentence enable

Brian,
You will need to enable the proper sentence strings on the Avmap to provide data for your AP and the Dynon HSI. Use the minimum displayed message strings possible for the equipment you have. The more data out, the slower your peripheral equipment will be updated.
Dynon and Trutrack have good instructions on how to do it if you decide to use an EKP IV.

Regards,
Chris