Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I am using a Dynon 180 and a Garmin 327. The Dynon harness comes with a shielded two wire cable for outputting the encoder to the transponder (RS232. Gnd). The Garmin harness has a shielded single wire cable to go the Dynon. The Garmin cable shield is grounded to the back shell of the connector.

My question:

Which cable should I use?

If I use the Garmin cable the shield is the ground. Therefore the Dynon would communicated to the Garmin the single wire and through the airframe ground.

If I use the Dynon cable then the ground would go to the Garmin directly.

If Stein is out their in Forum land please chime in.

Thanks,

Paul

It'll work fine either way to be honest. It sort of depends on which works better for you - whichever is easier to hook up in your install is what I'd recommend.

What did the dealer you purchased the Dynon/harness and the Transponder from tell you to do?

Cheers,
Stein

Harness MFG

Stein,

The Dynon harness is made by your company and the Garmin 327 harness is made by Stark.

The Garmin 327 harness has the one wire labeled to the corresponding pin on the Dynon connector.

I will be removing wires from one or the other connector and installing new ones as required.

Which method do you recommend? Is one method better then the other? There isn't really any more work involved with either approach unless I was going to splice the wires. That would take the least amount of time but is possibly not the best approach.

Paul

Hi Paul,

It really doesn't matter much...but if it were me, I'd probably pull the wire out of the Txpdr and insert the wire from the Dynon harness into the connector....but really either way will be fine for you. To be honest, the only reason I'd likely do it that way is the fact that there is barely any wires in the Txpdr connector, so it's a breeze to work with.

Indeed we do build an awful lot of those harnesses that get sold all over the place. We're happy to help when we can even if not everyone buys all their stuff from us....and you'll still qualify for a special shirt if you stop by at OSH.

Cheers,
Stein