rv3flier

Well Known Member
Yesterday I got back to SW Washington flying my new to me RV-12 from Stonewall, OK. In spite of heavy head wind components, generally from 20 -almost 40kts across most of my route, I averaged about 100kts ground speed and 5 - 5.5 gph at 5250 rpm flying mostly at 8500 - 10,500'. The only real problem (annoyance) during my flight occurred on the second day from Gallup, NM to Lakeview, OR. I was getting frequent high voltage alarms. The display on the Dynon 180 showed fluctuating voltage from normal 13.5v - 14.6v with corresponding fluctuations in amperage from -3 to +5 amps. Sometimes it would go for 20 - 30 minutes without alarming and then it would become frequent again. Strangely, the flight from Lakeview on home was silent -- no alarms. Any thoughts as to what might have been going on or what to look for?

The D-180 voltmeter could be malfunctioning, but that is unlikely.
The voltage regulator could be going bad.
The most likely problem is a bad connection in the circuit going to terminal "C" of the voltage regulator. The Master Switch is part of this circuit. The connections at each end of the small yellow wire are suspect. One end connects to terminal "C" and the other end connects to pin 21 of the firewall D-Sub.
Also make sure that that the voltage regulator is well grounded.
Joe Gores

Last edited:
Joe,

Thanks for the tips. I, along with an A&P/IA friend, will be doing the condition inspection a week from now and we'll check those connections.