RVG8tor

Well Known Member
The harness is built by Stein Air, I am starting my wire runs but in looking at the length I think I am going to some up short for the CHT and EGTs at the forward cylinders. I don't have the engine hung so I was wondering if anyone else has info on how the harness worked for you. The harness has about 6 feet or wire. I plane to run the wires up the right and left side of the plane. I don't want the wires run up the middle, I want to be able to remove the baggage floor for work on the brakes when required.

I order to have enough slack to pull the D-180 out of the front of the panel and remove the connectors by seamstress tape measure estimate is around 8 feet, two feet more than what is there. I am trying to decide if I need to order a custom harness from Stein Air with the length I need. how did you other RV-8 guys using the pre-made harness from Stein Air do?

Thanks

Did you factor in the length attached to the EGT/CHT probes. My probes have 18+ inches of lead on them.

I'm building a -7, but I'm guess I'll be shortening my harness 2'. YMMV

Mike,
The standard Harness will work for a centrally located D180 and if you split the left and right cylnder banks for CHT and EGT. You can make the split at the aft side of the fwd. baggage bulkhead, then run to the fwd side of the geartowers, then under the fwd baggage shelf/shelf support, then out thru the firewall outboard of the vertical reinforcement angle on the firewall. You should have just enough slack to pull the D180 out of its tray and unscrew the DB connectors. You'll be especially happy with the purchase of some pitot/static/AOA quick disconnects from Stein also!:D

Regards,

Good news

Thanks guys, that is good news, JT you are talking just the wire route I am thinking. I will check on the quick disconnects, I have the SafeAir kit, are those the save things.

Stein sent me a PM saying he would give me a credit for my harness if I need a new one made up, what guy. He also pointed out that if I had bought the harness from him directly instead of Spruce he could have added foot or two at not charge so you guy out there take note.

Cheers and thanks for the help as usual.