49clipper

Well Known Member
Anyone witha the Dynon -10A (small unit) regret it due to size? Just wondering. I already have my panel remake in progress, but like the Dynon stuff and thought about replacing my Micro Encoder with the small EFIS.

dynon 10A

I have had the 10A in my 4 for about a year and love it. It was just the basic with no add-ons and with out the bright screen option and I can see it great (even without my reading glasses!) I just ordered the remote compass and AOA for it, the compass in my set up seems to only work when heading east. and the AOA just seemed to be a fun tool to have. - Ben

Anyone witha the Dynon -10A (small unit) regret it due to size? Just wondering. I already have my panel remake in progress, but like the Dynon stuff and thought about replacing my Micro Encoder with the small EFIS.

The uEncoder was the only pitot instrument in my RV-6 for several years before I added the D-10 (later updgraded to D-10A). It may take you a few hours to acclimate to the much smaller airspeed and altimeter numerals on the Dynon. The uEncoder is an imminently readable instrument with some of the smoothest digit damping I have seen in a flight instrument along with really large numerals. But the Dynon works very nicely and you will soon adjust to the different graphics and find that it provides a wealth of info. The different colored tapes on the airspeed indicator are especially useful. What I miss most from the uEncoder is the audible low-airspeed warning. As soon as I figure out how to get the Dynon to trigger an audio transducer with its AOA warning I will be a very happy camper. :)

Good Stuff - no regrets

I have the D10A and EMS-D10 in my -9A. No problems reading them and great bang for the buck as I purchased them used from aviators with more "experienced" eyes that wanted bigger screens.

Good sunlight readability and information display, imho.

Meet%20Liv_066.JPG

Sam - I have audio on my AOA - I know you well enough that I am missing something in your question - I just had to hook the audio wire up to my aux audio input - If it was only that, you would have done it already.

Sam - I have audio on my AOA - I know you well enough that I am missing something in your question - I just had to hook the audio wire up to my aux audio input - If it was only that, you would have done it already.

Pete, since I often have my headset connected to a set of jacks that bypass the intercom (they are in a convenient location for solo flight) I would like to have the Dynon AOA activate a transducer independent of the intercom. Tying the Dynon audio into the intercom/audio panel as you did works great, it's just that a separate noisemaker would be advantageous for my particular situation. I've received some suggestions for a driver circuit from a previous thread, just need to get on the ball and make it happen. :)

Last edited:
I searched and waited until the last possible minute. One of the biggest factors is your eyesight. The second factor is the distance between you and the efis. For me the 10A is great as a backup and a primary for the co-pilot. I have a GRT HX 8.4" on the pilots side. The 10A works fine however with the distance and my eyesight (I have glasses) I needed something bigger. In a pinch the 10A will be just fine in my situation. L@@K at each of them at the distance you will be using them before purchasing.