Relentless

Well Known Member
Check out my testing video just uploaded to my you tube channel "relentless42". We are testing our own one piece cylinders and other Lycoming components. Once 360 has some flight time we will assemble out 429cu in version. The 360 target is over 200 and 429 is over 260. Really need RV10 to flight test bigger engine? Any takers?

Link to video

Your cylinders look very cool. Are your cylinders lighter than ECI's or Lycoming? I assume they flow much better.

Brian

Category: Comedy ?????

What is the "liner" made of? An aluminum alloy with high silicon for wear or Fe based? Your high silicon comment implies aluminum.

Thanks,

Cylinders

One piece cylinder flow much better and are about 2 lbs lighter than parallel Lycoming cylinders and produce more HP than angle valve. 4.5 lighter than those. Sleeve is aluminum and very high silicon content.

Hi Kevin,

Nice to see you over here hangin out with us poor slow tin benders! :)

Looks like you have an interesting project, keep the information coming. I think you'll find this a thirsty bunch who are anxious for improvements.

Cheers,
Stein

I have a -10

Kevin, I have a flying -10 or are you looking for an airplane that's close to being finished with no engine?

Best,

I vote for one flying.

I would hope that you choose a flying 10 with some performance baseline. It would go a very long way with this crowd to see back to back comparison. It appears with the long fins on the cylinder portion that airflow may be increased and fuel burn at the same speed could be affected. One might expect some additional cooling modifications to the installation to reach it's potential as one seeks to rebalance all the systems interactive effects.

Cylinder wear rates, if the surface temps are in line, should be many times lower than the steel walls. Automotive SAE testing from the 80's had wear rates go down by 4-5X with this allow and the right rings. This will take some development of course, but very possible. It will take some 500 hr runs to be sure. Pierre, can you fly that much? Need some help?:D

I am pretty excited about this new component, It has a lot of potential, but will take a lot of data and development to reach its potential. Maybe more high hour flyers that take good data could be enlisted.

Yep

Bill, it has around 500 hours on it and I do have a very good baseline...217 MPH WOT at 800' MSL, from two runs in the Race to Ridgeland (S.C.).

Best,

RV10 test bed

An flying 10 would be best. I have one of our brand new 409cu in with ECI Titan as starting point and then once we have baseline against whatever was there we can the install AX50 cylinders and up cu in to 429. This will give excess of 260hp..)

I get so excited when I think of all the great airframes that would benefit from out lighter, stronger, and more efficient 4 cylinders.

Rv10, 14, glasair II, eagle, long ez, etc

Last edited:
I get so excited when I think of all the great airframes that would benefit from out lighter, stronger, and more efficient 4 cylinders.

Rv10, 14, glasair II, eagle, long ez, etc

The RV 10 is designed for the weight of a 6 cylinder engine ------ C/G issues would arise from a 4 banger. And, considering no iron/steel cylinder, it could be even worse than a standard engine design.

I thought the new cylinders/pistons/rods would be installed on the 540, 6 cylinder. this would keep the modifications to a minimum for the airframe and flight characteristics would remain the same. The benefit would be TO, Climb, and cruise fuel burn with 170kt at a higher altitude.

Maybe someone with an IO-390 might be interested (RV7 or 8). That would seem to be a very good match, W&B wise.

Do the new cylinders also use a new cam profile?

Cam profile

I thought the new cylinders/pistons/rods would be installed on the 540, 6 cylinder. this would keep the modifications to a minimum for the airframe and flight characteristics would remain the same. The benefit would be TO, Climb, and cruise fuel burn with 170kt at a higher altitude.

Maybe someone with an IO-390 might be interested (RV7 or 8). That would seem to be a very good match, W&B wise.

Do the new cylinders also use a new cam profile?

This test engine has stock roller cam but we did change cam timing by rotating gear. Our new cams are being made now.

CG for rv10 going tour ACE-429 4 cylinder

When I went from 720 back to 540 in my NXT the CG was not effected as much as you might think. You will keep prop in same location and now have lots of room behind engine. Larger oil cooler? turbo?:cool: How about 350 HP at 17,500? Even if you add some ballast- the lower weight, improved efficiency, and lower cost will be worth it.

Last edited: