Geico266

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of getting a dynamic balancer as I do a lot of of it with the planes I'm involved with. Normally, I hire it done, but I have to be there anyway to run the plane so why shouldn't I just bite the bullet and buy one?

Anyone know anything about these guys?

http://www.rpxtech.com/rpxweb/dynavibe.aspx

questions about dynamic balancing

I had mine balanced but due to the airport elevation and density altitude and fixed pitch prop I could only get 2150 rpm static during the balancing process. We added weights to balance at that RPM. How will that effect the balance at higher RPMs? During flight it felt worse to me at higher rpm than at 2150. To be honest, I'm not sure I could tell a difference at any rpm.

I fly jets for a living and any 4 banger feels like its going to shake itself off of the motor mount to me.

Should the difference be obvious? or should I just trust the equipment?

Chris Murphy
0-320 RV-4

I had mine balanced but due to the airport elevation and density altitude and fixed pitch prop I could only get 2150 rpm static during the balancing process. We added weights to balance at that RPM. How will that effect the balance at higher RPMs? During flight it felt worse to me at higher rpm than at 2150. To be honest, I'm not sure I could tell a difference at any rpm.

I fly jets for a living and any 4 banger feels like its going to shake itself off of the motor mount to me.

Should the difference be obvious? or should I just trust the equipment?

Chris Murphy
0-320 RV-4

Most of the time the static RPM is good enough. You should be good to go, but you may have different vibrations at higher cruise RPM. I wonder if you can fly with the balancer on?

No, it's not gonna be as smooth as a jet. ;)

Balance Props

I balance about 100 props a year. All PT6s though. We use the Honeywell (used to be Chadwick-Helmuth) Vibrex 2000. Works pretty well, but a newer unit like the one you're looking at probably has a nicer PC interface.

BY the way, our spinner backplates have about 20 nutplate locations already attached, so the average balance job takes about 3 runs and 10 minutes, total. You'll probably have to run yours with trial weights, and then remove the spinner, correct for the new weight locations, and drill the backplate. May take an hour or so.....

CDE

Dynamic prop balancing

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to get a prop dynamically balanced in Fort Worth? Thanks.

The prop shop at Meacham does it (forget the name), they did mine and I was very happy with the service. I have the info at home, if you need it send me an email.

I balance props up here in North Alabama and use the Microvib, I really like it and Highly recommended buying one or getting your prop balanced by one.
Steve Raddatz

I'm waiting to hear feedback...

...from this new instrument from Insight.

http://www.insightavionics.com/g3prop.htm

Continuous DIY prop balancing at any rpm while in flight....:)

g3_prop.jpg

g3_vib.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmmm........

Now they just have to come up with an easy way to attache them peskey little weights to the spinner whilst in flight!:rolleyes: See photo on link.

Or maybe a higher tech solution: little robot weights that you can control from your I-phone.:cool:

Endless possiblilites!!:D