rvator10

Well Known Member
Patron
:confused: can someone help me with the pro-con's with dynacocal vs conical engine mounts.
what is perferred?
Thanks

rvator10 said:
:confused: can someone help me with the pro-con's with dynacocal vs conical engine mounts.
what is perferred?
Thanks

I fly behind an o-320 B2c which has the conical mounts. No problem!
Some say that there is more vibration transmitted to the airframe from the engine, but that has not been a problem for me, and I used the extra $5,000 I save on my panel!!!!

Duane

The conical mount will keep the engine stiffer in the cowl, but transfer more vibes to the airframe. The Dynofocal is a absorbs more vibration, but moves around a lot.

Old news?

rvator10 said:
what is preferred?
Thanks
Use the search function at top of page, there is lots of info already, (type in: conical dynafocal) cheers. :D

Bottom line Dynafocal is better in every way and preferred. Physically the geometry of the engine mount and design of the vibration isolators are totally different. They are not interchangeable**.

Used older 320 engines, which you can get cheaper, often have conical mounts. There have been no new Lycs made with conical mounts for a long long time. That should tell you something. However if a conical 320 comes into your life its nothing to fear.

Unless you are going to buy an old Lyc 320, its a moot point. However conical works fine, especially if you're getting an good deal on an engine or RV, however if possible always go dynafocal.

** During complete engine overhaul you can convert a 320's conical engine mount to dynafocal for a not totally unreasonable extra charge. (ECI does the conversion)

Last edited:
Conical to Dynafocal Conversion

If you have a conical mount case and you prefer dynafocal, it can be easily converted for a reasonable price. Contact one of the inspection and repair shops like Divco or Crankcase Services for details.

Chuck