cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I received my FWF kit 10 days ago but the dynafocal vibration isolators were backordered. We have now installed all the "stuff" on the firewall and are ready to install the engine, a Lycoming O-320 D1A. I called Vans and they said that they would not get the vibration isolators until sometime next month. :( They list this part number as EA Dyna Vi-std. I tried to find these items on the web but to no avail. Any ideas as to where I might find them?

Get Lord mounts

These are made by a company in California, Vibration Isolation Products, Inc. d.b.a. Pacific Molded Technologies. You can see them on aircraft spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ep/mounts.html

or specifically

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/vip.php

My best guess for a (VIP) Vibration Isolation Products, Inc. part number would be 08-00774 ($57 each). That is equivalent to a Lord J9613-49, which happens to be for a Grumman AA-5B (S/N 1-399) Lyc. O-360-A4K.

These VIP mounts may be fine but they are not Lord Corp or Berry Controls. Van uses them because they are cheaper. I personally have noticed smoother operations with the the Lord and they stand up better.

If you can get credit from Van's, I highly recommend getting the Lord Brand of isolation mount. They are not cheap, about $99.5o a pop (per corner) from Spruce, but I have seen other dealers sell them cheaper (about $10 less). Shop around prices vary.

The part number Lord Corp recommended to me is: J-9613-40 x (4)

You want the one with the silicon isolation spacer. There are other models of Lord mounts that fit Dynafocal Lycomings 235/320/360's (with out that silicon spacer) and are cheaper, but this is what I have for my O360-A1A/Hartzell prop. The Lord mounts are better quality in my opinion from experience.

The J-9613-40 is listed for a Mooney: M20J (1976-up) Lyc. IO-360-A3B6D.

Why IO-360-A3B6D. It really does not matter from the standpoint a Dynafocal is a dynafocal, but for one this model vibration isolator has the shut down & start control, which is important with a tight cowl. The silicon spacers I mentioned controls that wet dog shaking effect when you start and shut down, the large movement. Nor sure what it does for vibrations flight? This reduced start/stop movement will save wear and tear on the accessories, like the airbox, oil cooler and baffles, especially if you have the cooler mounted on the baffles (e.g., cracks). I believe the Mooney had problem with the cowl getting banged up because it is a tight cowl like the RV's. This is how the mount was developed as I recall.

The engine and prop (in the M20J) is the heavy IO360 (200hp) with a Hartzell prop. However it works fine with the O360 (180HP) and probably 320 as well. The 235 is similar but I think has a smaller hole in the engine mount so it gets a different part number. The J-9613-40 should handle most 360's/320's.

However if you have a super light O235/320 and/or light prop, you may want to call Lord and get possibly a different model with a lower stiffness that is better optimized for you engine/prop?

There is some cool info here (their General Aviation page):
http://www.lord.com/tabid/3537/Default.aspx

You can call them: +1 877 ASK LORD (275 5673) in the United States and Canada; Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST)

Here is Aircraft spruce price on the J-9613-40 ($99.50), but as I say, I think you can get better price elsewhere.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/lordenginemountsmooney.php

I am a cheap-skate but there are some things I don't compromise on. They do cost more, about $20-$30 or more each than the cheapest you can buy. However that is Van's thing, cheap and get the job done and sure VIP mounts do OK. All I can tell you is I feel a difference, and the quality is apparent if you just look at them sitting next to other brands. (Disclaimer: I don't work for or never have worked for Lord Corp and get no commission :D .)

Last edited:
Lord is certainly the best. We have VIP mounts on our Cardinal right now, and will be going back to Lord after this time (VIP were installed because of lead time on new lords was too long). There are some other ideas I thought of for lords. They make an equivalent of the J-9614 in a synthetic (For cessna 421), which seem to hold up better to heat and stuff, add those with the silicone inserts, and they should last forever. Ok maybe not, I'm no engineer.

Lord mounts on Tigers

George mentioned the 9613-49 Lord mount on the Tiger, but used a part number for early models.

The parts catalogs have been updated, and the 9613-59 (more $$) is now the required part.

Some interesting technical info. is here from an experienced Grumman mechanic.... explaining some improvements on a different part number.

http://grumman.net/archive/2005/msg01699.html

Barry seems to have less part numbers in their catalog, and recommends the 94011-02 for all 4 cyl. RVs and the early and later Tigers.

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
Thanks gang

Thanks gang!
The wealth of knowlege of forum members always amazes me! I will check with Vans Monday about a refund and call in an order.