danielhv

Well Known Member
ok, I dont know what the hype is over this stuff but it seems like alot of ppl are using it... After 2 cans, I HATE this stuff. There is absolutely no consistency between cans and the stuff runs like water. Ive shaken this can for 10 minutes thinking it just wasn't getting mixed well... and as soon as I started spraying it shot out a **** load in one spot and all speckled in the others... The nozzle drips while spraying, and if you turn the built in nozzle, it will never spray the same again. Im done with it. I have a full can that was used to dust 7 stiffeners... its yours if you want to come and get it... otherwise its going in the trash. Im going back to the expensive SEM to finish the elevators, then when its time for the wings, ill order the AKZO kit.

Im in the DFW area btw.

-Daniel

ok, I dont know what the hype is over this stuff but it seems like alot of ppl are using it... After 2 cans, I HATE this stuff. There is absolutely no consistency between cans and the stuff runs like water. Ive shaken this can for 10 minutes thinking it just wasn't getting mixed well... and as soon as I started spraying it shot out a **** load in one spot and all speckled in the others... The nozzle drips while spraying, and if you turn the built in nozzle, it will never spray the same again. Im done with it. I have a full can that was used to dust 7 stiffeners... its yours if you want to come and get it... otherwise its going in the trash. Im going back to the expensive SEM to finish the elevators, then when its time for the wings, ill order the AKZO kit.

Im in the DFW area btw.

-Daniel

I'm starting to get the impression you don't like this primer:)

Does it say "self etching" on the can?

Mark

I've been thru at least 7 or 8 cans of the stuff so far. Never had a problem. I DID have problems like you described with the Tempo zinc oxide. After two cans, switched to Duplicolor self etching. Been happy ever since.

I'm starting to get the impression you don't like this primer:)

Does it say "self etching" on the can?

Mark

yes, it is the self etching primer... green color.... I dont get why there are so many mixed results. The only thing I have to compare this stuff to is the SEM... and its like a dream compared to the drippy mess the duplicolor leaves behind. goes on smooth and even, and stays where you spray it. Easy to get full coverage on 1 pass... the duplicolor seems to take several passes to get full coverage, but also results in runs unless you let each pass dry.

Daniel...take a deep breath....you're only on the emp...it gets a lot worse :)!

Just finishing up my 5th RV/Rocket and I LOVE this stuff. I've got all my buds using it and WE ALL love the stuff :D. Got a little part you just fabbed and need to primer it...no muss no fuss and no mixing....best of all you can install the part 10 minutes after you primer.

You must have got some with a bad batch of nozzles. Call duplicolor and I'll bet they make it right. In the meantime go to a DIFFERENT Autozone (or where ever) and pick up another can or 10 and see how it goes.

Check back and let us know how you made out.

Oh yea......I pull the nozzles off and keep a spare or two just in case I forget to turn the can over and blow it out when I'm done. Feel free to send me your 'bad' cans and I'll put 'em to good use :D.

Good Luck!

Im in the DFW area btw.

-Daniel

Me either

I dont get why there are so many mixed results. The only thing I have to compare this stuff to is the SEM...

Daniel,
I tried the SEM and didn't like it...:confused:

I will say the duplicolor self etching doesn't really spray as good as some primers. I've found that a new can sprays better. More pressure I guess.
And it takes two coats to look right. In fact if you try and get the color real even you wind up putting it on a little thick. And a can doesn't go very far.

But once it's dry...it's pretty tuff and I like the color better than gray.

Mark

I've tried a few cans as well, and I have no problems with it. I like the Napa stuff simply because I get an even looking coat. I think what might be happening is you're trying to get an even "color" coat, and it isn't going to happen. It's kind of translucent, but it's still doing it's job. If you put it on heavy enough to get a uniform color, it's way too much. I tried the sherwin williams stuff when I first started, the same stuff Van's uses. It was the same way as the duplicolor, and I got tired of cleaning up the mess just to prime a few parts. Cans are simply more convenient for my work style.

Luv it. Never had a problem. Must be where your buying it. The cans may be 10 years old or something.

I typically do two coats and that is enough to hide the metal and that is plenty enough. Too much and it will run or you will get to thick a layer and that will not be durable.

I have used most of the others and this was the best price/performance/ease of use ratio I could find.

Heh Daniel,
I'm with you! I have been using the AZKO primer and it does take a little more time done correctly....but the quality "Rocks"!!!

1 Bad Can

I like the duplicolor, but I had a bad can that did the same thing...shot out a green glop of stuff that looked like it had solidified in the bottom of the can, no matter how much I shook up the stuff it was just ****. Went back and got them to open a new box. No problem sinse and the stuff does work great. I wonder if the bad cans were out in the heat or froze, it is a definte binary code on this stuff...iether a 1 or a 0. You'll love the 1's and have to toss the zeros.

If it's any consolation, I've had the same thing happen with Sherwin-Williams 988 self-etching primer. One can will shoot perfectly, and the next can will spray globs of ugly spatter everywhere, regardless of temperature, humidity, surface preparation, technique, or anything. Or, it just won't dry properly...

I have three mostly-full cans of that stuff sitting on a shelf, waiting to be used for non-aviation purposes, or maybe Young Eagles' practice projects. :)

I've found that with rattle cans, when they work, the result can be a thing of beauty. When they don't, it's a thing of horrified wonderment.

Danial,

Buy the Akzo now and the inexpensive top load graivity feed spray gun at Lowes for $39and you will never regret it. The primer sticks like crazy, is tough, easy to mix and spray and looks good. Cheers CJ

I guess I've been fortunate, but I've had no trouble with Dupli-Color Primer. It even looks good...which, to me, is not as important since I'm using it in areas that will be unseen. My only problem is that the stores around here only carry 3-4 cans of it at a time. So whenever I see some on a shelf, I buy it up.:D

Primer....

I'm having about the same results as everybody else that is complaining. But I'm also applying the primer-sealer afterwards. NOW, that goes on easy and looks good. Also it's tough. The S.W. stuff Van's uses is the primer only and S.W.recommends that it be sealed...... soooo, if you ain't gonna seal it then why bother to prime it? Better than nothing I guess.
But I'm still working on the tailfeathers...what do I know!:D