mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am finishing up FWF details. There are a couple of things I probably should have addressed earlier: sniffle valve exit and fuel pump overflow exit. I have an RV 8 with a IO360M1B, Vetterman 4 into 2 crossover exhaust.

Since both of these have the potential to dump fuel overboard, it makes sense to keep the fuel away from the exhaust. I searched the data base here for pictures. Some look like they exit between the two exhaust pipes. I see some where it looks like it is over to the left between the ramp and the sidewall.

Is the idea that these exit near the edge of the cowling and you make a notch in the cowl for the tube to exit? Should they extend into the slip stream or end about flush with the cowl? I did not buy the FWF kit from Vans but understand there is a drawing somewhere that has their suggestion. I doubt it addresses the sniffle valve exit.

Anyway, looking for suggestions.

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

My fuel pump overflow is on the left side of the fus right behind the cowl. I drilled a hole through the "lip" of the firewall/fuse and put the drain through there.

My sniffle valve drain exits the cowl next to the left exhaust. The sniffle will not drain fuel with the engine running.

Fuel Dump

Concur with the above - left side vents. I followed the FF plans - Aerosport IO-360 - no issues 0ver 210+ hours.

This begs the question...

I have not heard of a broken fuel pump diaphragm for which that overboard dump is made. Anyone know of one?