StuBob

Well Known Member
My RV-7 has a G3X Touch installed by a previous owner. He kept a bunch of round instruments in the process, including a UBG-16 engine analyzer, and didn't install any kind of standby attitude indicator or a heated pitot.

The pitot situation should be easy enough to fix. It's on the To Do list.

And it should only require money and work to dump the UBG-16 and install the Garmin Whatsit that puts an EIS display on the G3X Touch. I'd like to do that. Any reason why not?

But the biggest problem could be a standby AI. The UBG display is 2 1/4". It's mounted in the upper left hand corner of the panel and pretty close to the left side of the G3X. I'd like to stick a G5 there, especially since it could drive the GFC500, but I don't think it'll fit there or any other useful spot.

I've searched, but can't seem to find a 2 1/4" standby AI. Is there such a thing? What are my other options? Right now, I have an iPad mini on a RAM mount on the far left. That hardly seems adequate, though I've done some practice flying under the hood with only the iPad or even the iPhone as my sole reference. It works, but not comfortably.

And it should only require money and work to dump the UBG-16 and install the Garmin Whatsit that puts an EIS display on the G3X Touch. I'd like to do that. Any reason why not?

It may not apply to you since they aren't UBG functions, but one gotcha for fuel, oil and manifold pressure is that the EI instruments for those use transducers that aren't Garmin friendly. I was a little surprised when I found out my EI pressure transducers weren't compatible with the GEA 24.

But the biggest problem could be a standby AI. The UBG display is 2 1/4". It's mounted in the upper left hand corner of the panel and pretty close to the left side of the G3X. I'd like to stick a G5 there, especially since it could drive the GFC500, but I don't think it'll fit there or any other useful spot.

Don't be too afraid of a new panel blank. I needed a fair amount of help with some of the custom aspects of my 6 replacement panel, but it's really nice when you end up with everything right where you want it.

VANS sells 2-1/4 UMA airspeed indicators with markings. Non illuminated. I have one with a Nulite ring light. Works great as a steam backup to the PFD.

VANS sells 2-1/4 UMA airspeed indicators with markings. Non illuminated. I have one with a Nulite ring light. Works great as a steam backup to the PFD.

I think they're talking "Attitude Indicator". Airspeed Indicator is typically referred to as ASI.

Yes. I'm not sure why I'd want a standby airspeed indicator.

Good to know that the other indicators aren't Garmin friendly. I'd like to put everything on the G3X, centralizing annunciators and data collection.

It sounds like you might benefit from looking at section 21 of the current G3X installation manual (revision AT). Section 21.1 lists supported engine/airframe sensors, and section 21.2.6 specifically addresses retrofit applications.

I think they're talking "Attitude Indicator". Airspeed Indicator is typically referred to as ASI.

Thanks Mel, I know ASI of course. Was not finished with coffee. I have the 2-1/4 TruTrac AI which is great. Had to use it for real once in IMC. I think the Horus is what I would look at when replacement is needed.

Yes. I'm not sure why I'd want a standby airspeed indicator.

Good to know that the other indicators aren't Garmin friendly. I'd like to put everything on the G3X, centralizing annunciators and data collection.

When the AHRS goes whacky in IMC and starts grossly varying airspeed and rolling horizon about 360 deg per sec is when backup gages are good. In VFR, no prob of course.

It sounds like you might benefit from looking at section 21 of the current G3X installation manual (revision AT). Section 21.1 lists supported engine/airframe sensors, and section 21.2.6 specifically addresses retrofit applications.

Thanks. That thing is like 800 pages long. It’s hard to navigate unless someone like you gives me a section number.