RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Hi all.
My brain isnt working i guess....
Fitting nose gear leg fairing... says slot in bottom of cowl depends on number of blades on prop? I dont get it...why does the slot for nose gear fairing have anything to do with two or three blades. ???? :confused:

With a two blade prop you can turn the prop 90 degrees to the ground and have a lot of clearance. With a three blade prop you turn the prop so one blade points up and two are down. The blades get in the way so the slot needs to be deeper on the three blade than on the two blade.

...why does the slot for nose gear fairing have anything to do with two or three blades. ???? :confused:

Two blade prop, you can move it so both blades are horizontal. Now you can slip the cowl forward some to clear the spinner, and down.

With three blade prop, your best position is to have 1 blade on top vertical. The other two blades obviously cannot be horizontal, so they will impede the removal of the lower cowl. You must therefore cut a larger hole in the cowl, so it can be moved back on the forward sloping gear leg to clear the 2 lower props.