PIN 37

Well Known Member
Ok so here is the problem. I have a Tip up RV7 and I have closed the canopy and 'locked' it. now I have gone to open it and the long link between the latch and the activating mechanism has become detached. That is, the bolt has fallen out the clevis. So now the canopy is closed and I cant see a way to open it apart from smashing the rear light or canopy itself. So the question is,..... is there a way that I cant see to open the canopy, or do I just have to suck it up and break the plexie and make a whole new canopy. If the last option is the case, there is a VERY cheap RV on the market.:confused:

Yes I know.....Now.... that I should have had a nut on the bolt........but I didnt

Just a thought

Rather than smash your canopy, you might consider drilling out the rivets for a corner of your fuselage skin. Drill out just enough to peel back enough to squeeze your arm in enough to reach the latch, or enough to get in a makeshift tool to open the latch.
Once the latch is open, rivet back the skin. Voila, it never even happened.

Rather than smash your canopy, you might consider drilling out the rivets for a corner of your fuselage skin.

Trouble is,the rear light is bolted in with a few bolts, so drilling out rivits wont help. I was hoping I wasn't he only dumb b....ard, but apparently I am.:(

Try air vent

Phil ? I?m not familiar with the RV-7 so can?t offer a definite working solution to your situation. However, that said, I believe earlier this year I read where a builder had a similar situation - he closed his canopy and it became latched from the inside and he could not get in from the outside.

If memory serves me correctly, the suggestion posted that ultimately got him in was to feed a stiff wire or rod through the air vent on the side of the fuselage and grab at the latch from the inside.

It will be interesting to hear what others suggest ? hope you get the issue solved without the need to get draconian

Are you talking about the top latch, or the side lock? For top, Vlad's link should be helpful. For the side, would a similar technique going in through the cockpit naca vents work? Something stiffer than a coat hanger would probably be good; maybe heavy gauge solid copper wire with a steel hook attached to the end.

Charlie
(Forgot to add: Let me know if you do decide to sell cheap....)

Its the side lock that is the one that is closed.:( A wire through the naca vent may be a solution, I will try that first.:eek:

Trouble is,the rear light is bolted in with a few bolts, so drilling out rivits wont help. I was hoping I wasn't he only dumb b....ard, but apparently I am.:(

I think going through the air vent might have merit. I looked at mine and if your panel does not drop too low it appears to be a good shot. It will take two people or a big mirror to make the connection.

Maybe a piece of 3/8 or 1/4 in tubing (copper or aluminum) with a loop on the end than can be pulled from the open end of the tube (with a helper ) to attach to the lever, then pull the cable/heavy string to secure tube to the lever and pull.

Good luck, I know you will get it in the morning when you are fresh!!

Phil,
Can you drill out the screws holding the rear section?
You can give me a call if you want. My number is 03 53461248
Cheers
Mick

Wires used for T-Bar Ceilings are very stiff and would be the wire to use. You should be able to get them from HD or any T-Bar supplier. If not, next time you go into your office or other building, bring a ladder and a pair of wire cutters.

Piano wire can be purchased in long lengths at hobby stores (at least here in Canada). Very stiff, difficult to bend though once bent the bends stay in place.

Thanks for all the replys and inspiration. I started by using piano wire, actually the wire from the horizontal joint of the cowling. fortunately it had not been trimmed to length yet. I put a small hook on the end and fed it through the naca vent on the co-pilot side. while trying to do that I looked across an saw the slit where the handle goes on the pilot side. so I fed the wire in the handle slot and with a mate on the other side guiding me, I hooked onto the finger that holds the canopy down. I just pulled and she opened up. In the end it was really simple and quick with absolutely no damage, not even a scratch. Thanks again for the advice.:)