TShort

Well Known Member
How did you guys dimple the three holes in the LE skin top and bottom for the lens retainer screws?
The instructions say to dimple with a #30 dimple die as this is what the holes are drilled to; they say you can "experiment" with larger dies as the #30 size is a little small for the #6 screws. A #6 screw die won't fit in the #30 hole, however, and I am a little reluctant to enlarge the holes as I don't want to mess up the fit of the lens.
Thoughts?

Thomas

I used the #30 die. If I remember correctly, the screw will fit after the hole has been dimpled.

The #6 screw does sit slightly proud in the #30 dimpled hole. I am thinking of hitting it with a #6 dimple die.

Make sure the countersink in the lens is good to allow for the dimple. One of mine cracked when I tightened it down. I will have to replace it eventually.

TShort said:
How did you guys dimple the three holes in the LE skin top and bottom for the lens retainer screws?.........
Try this. Find a piece of test scrap material the same thickness as the LE skin. Dimple a few holes in it. At this point you can then experiment using an open #30 countersink and slightly remove enough material from the dimpled holes so that the #6 screw head will set perfectly flush in them. It won't take much. Finally, ream the holes with either a #28 or a 9/64" drill bit (.140) so that the #6 screw threads will freely pass.

TShort said:
The instructions say to dimple with a #30 dimple die as this is what the holes are drilled to; they say you can "experiment" with larger dies as the #30 size is a little small for the #6 screws.

I dimpled with a #6 die and then drilled the holes in the lens up to 3/16" to allow for plexiglass movement. It works great:

http://www.rv7blog.com/index.php/2006/06/03/installed-left-landing-light-lens/

I actually emailed this tip to the Duckworks guy and he said it was perfectly fine. Honestly I'm not sure why the instructions would have you do it any other way. Be sure to adequately countersink the lens and you should be good to go.

cheers,
mcb

Last edited: