Phil

Well Known Member
Have any of you installed the Duckworks mount into a the leading edge of your previously built wings?

How difficult would it be to put one of these in at this point?

I'm have a pair of Aeroled Sunspot 36HX's to put into each leading edge and I'm thinking this is the best and easiest method to do it.

Thanks,
Phil

I used the Duckworks mounts with the Aeroled sunspots and retro-fitted them in our -9a. As most of the fitting is done through the leading edge hole that you will have to cut, it was easy and straigh forward.

Piece of cake Phil - Louise did most of the installation of the Duckworks mounts into our RV-3 QB wings. Cutting the holes in your finished leading edges is only psychologically difficult, and you have in-house help for that. ;)

The wingtip lights in the RV-8 have always been just "adequate" as landing lights - the leading edge lights in the -3 are Outstanding!

Paul

Piece of cake Phil - Louise did most of the installation of the Duckworks mounts into our RV-3 QB wings. Cutting the holes in your finished leading edges is only psychologically difficult, and you have in-house help for that. ;)

The wingtip lights in the RV-8 have always been just "adequate" as landing lights - the leading edge lights in the -3 are Outstanding!

Paul

I don't know what I'd do without my wife to keep my thoughts straight!

The 10's have the same reputation when using wingtip lights for landing. There are more dissatisfied owners than there are satisfied owners when it comes to relying on the wingtip lights.

I'm using a combination of wingtip lights and leading edge lights. I have a pair of SunSpot 36HX's that are going in the leading edge for landing. I have a pair of Microsun's that are going in the wingtips for taxi.

Also in the mix are a pair of NS60's for NAV/Strobe. They're going inside the wingtip too with the Microsun's. Then a Suntail (obviously) on the back end.

The neighbors will be excited when I put them into the wings, so I'll stop shining bright lights into their windows at night while I drool over how bright these things are.

Phil

We did it on the 7a

ours was complicated because the wingtips are riveted on. The hardest part was running the new wires from the panel to the the lights. The DW kits are designed to be installed into finished wings. As Paul mentioned, the leading edge lights (ours are 55w HID) work 100 times better than the wingtip lights. I now use the wingtip lights as recognition lights after converting them to LEDs.

Will probably convert the HIDs to LEDs in the near future. Good luck you will be happy with the results.

Have any of you installed the Duckworks mount into a the leading edge of your previously built wings?

How difficult would it be to put one of these in at this point?

I'm have a pair of Aeroled Sunspot 36HX's to put into each leading edge and I'm thinking this is the best and easiest method to do it.

Thanks,
Phil

If I can do it, you can do it. There really isn't any difference in the process of doing during the build and after the wings are built other than you can sit the leading edge assembly on the bench during the build. That's a little more difficult with a finished wing. :D

Easily done

Drilling the first hole into that wing is pretty scary. :eek: In retrospect I left more edge distance to the template line than I really needed on the initial cuts, but the extra filing involved brought some peace of mind. No issues and a great result.

I am on the fence with landing lights, the Vans wing tip kit for both wings at $125 looks good price wise but probably is not as good as Duckworks at $500 for a pair. Maybe I will run the wires and make a decision later.

Bill, I like your F-86 avatar, flew it a long time ago. :)

You can always put in either the 55W halogens at $150 for the pair, or the 100W Halogen at $230 for the pair.

The HID's are the ones for $500 a pair, but they are also amazingly powerful for the price.

The halogens are always upgradeable later on also if you decide you want to go to either the HID or possibly an LED in the future.

Richard

I cut the leading edge hole using the supplied template as a guideline. After cutting the first one I now think it would be better to copy the supplied template onto card stock. The thickness of regular paper makes it a little difficult to get a clean mark. Having said that I don't think it is all that critical. I of course could always order a replacement piece. :D You might have a little more trouble.

I used a 3" cut off wheel on my grinder to cut close to the line in between the corners. Then I used a 1" cut off wheel on my dremel tool to "carefully" cut the corners. I used a small drum sander on the dremel to get close in the corners. I then used a brand new scotch-brite wheel to finish up the corners and to polish the edge of the straight portions of the cutout.