prkaye

Well Known Member
i'm going to go with the Duckworks leading edge landing lights, supplied through Vans. Two questions:

1) I'm going to go with either the rectangular or the round ones (not the super-expensive HID ones). The "round" ones cost are $115, instead of $75 for the rectangulars. Is it worth the extra money? What's the main advantage of the rounds.

2) I want to keep weight down, so I'm wondering if one landing light would be sufficient? Of course, it would be asymmetric, having one light on one wing... but maybe this isn't a big deal? Has anybody installed one of these, and found it to be enough, or not enough? If I go with one, which wing should it be on?

Thanks!

Phil

What % of your flying to date has been at night? Gotta ask yourself if you'll honestly do a lot of night flying.

But hone the goal as well. In my case the goal is daytime recognition more than anything else, and I like having two in order to wig-wag.

I intend to do a lot of cross-country flying, which will inevitably include a lot of night flying.

Wig-wag?

Phil,

I had the regular rectangular Duckworks lights in my RV-8, then when they introduced the round version thought I'd try them. I installed the round version in one with and lived with it for a while. In the end I didn't like the light dispersion pattern as well as the the rectangulars... it was more tightly focused, to narrow for me. Also, the rounds are of course heavier.

Personally, I'd put two lights because there is little weight penalty and you get the benefit of better lighting and the ability to install wig-wags which I'd highly recommend.

randylervold said:
Phil,

I had the regular rectangular Duckworks lights in my RV-8, then when they introduced the round version thought I'd try them. I installed the round version in one with and lived with it for a while. In the end I didn't like the light dispersion pattern as well as the the rectangulars... it was more tightly focused, to narrow for me. Also, the rounds are of course heavier.

Personally, I'd put two lights because there is little weight penalty and you get the benefit of better lighting and the ability to install wig-wags which I'd highly recommend.

Cool, probably two rectangulars then. Should I cut the hole in the skin prior to riveting the skin to the skeleton, or after? What are wig wags?

prkaye said:
Cool, probably two rectangulars then. Should I cut the hole in the skin prior to riveting the skin to the skeleton, or after? What are wig wags?

Cut the hole after.

Wig wag lights switch on and off like turn signals. They do this opposite each other. This really makes your plane stand out when view from the front. The wig wag is just a small box and you will want a switch to turn it on and off. Weighs only a couple of ounces.

Kent

Wigwag

Just think back to the last time you looked in the rear view mirror, and saw a cop commin' up on you in a big hurry---------headlights flashing side to side.

Real attention getter aint it??

Mike

Last edited:
Cutting Hole

prkaye said:

Phil,

I just finished doing both leading edges. I cut the holes while everything was clecoed together prior to riveting. While the directions from Duckworks say it can be done in a finished leading edge, I wouldn't want to do it that way. I painted the inside of the leading edge white, thinking that it would look better than the bare alclad, but after doing it I'm not so sure I'd do it again.

went round

I just bought the round halogen DW lights. I chose them over rectangular because the upgrade path to HID is easier. The kit seems very high quality, and the directions are excellent. I will be putting them in during construction; starting with the nutplates in the ribs really soon!

Beware of HID

I don't think that you can use Wig Wag on them, if you think along those lines.

Kent

No Wig-Wag with HID

kentb said:
I don't think that you can use Wig Wag on them, if you think along those lines.

Kent
True... no wig-wag with HID. It severely limits their life which is one of the advantages of the HIDs.

FlyerJumper said:
True... no wig-wag with HID. It severely limits their life which is one of the advantages of the HIDs.
Bill Vondane sells a wig-wag flasher that he says is okay to use with HID lights:

http://www.creativair.com/wigwag-flasher-halogen-lamps-p-89.html

Supposedly it is the same part that's used by one of the big OEM's (Mooney maybe?) with their HID light setup. I bought one but may not use it - after reconsidering, I'm a little leery of burning up my expensive landing lights. Anyone know any better info?

mcb

wig wag and HID vendor

I'm shopping for lighting now as well, and found these guys who claim to do HID and wig-wag:

www.xevision.com

For it all to work, you have to buy their ballasts, bulbs, and wig-wag flasher unit.

Still haven't decided.

Duckworks Wig-Wag

Duckworks is now a dealer for Xevision wig-wag flashing module for HIDs.
I just purchased a set and very happy with them. Looks cool !!!

Bill Souza
RV-7A
N279RB (Reserved)
Accurate Machine Co.
Lancaster, CA.

HID is the way to go

Hey, if you are going to put in landings lights at all, you might as well put in HID's. Yes, they are more money, but in the context of the cost of the plane it is not that much, and the capability is, well, night and day. Those HID puppies really light up the runway.

Nucleus

nucleus said:
Yes, they are more money, but in the context of the cost of the plane it is not that much
$1100 for a set of HIDs sure seems like a lot of money to me. Guess I am still having sticker shock.

That video is truly unique! If you hadn't told us about the lighting, I would have figured those guys were on fire!

Like you said - awesome...

Paul

No to HID's. Yes to LED's!

If you are not in a hurry, install the 100 W rectangular lights now. In the near future you will be able to replace them with LED's.

Lexus has just introduced them in one of their cars and they will make their way down to us in a year or two.

I hope!

N941WR said:
If you are not in a hurry, install the 100 W rectangular lights now. In the near future you will be able to replace them with LED's.

Lexus has just introduced them in one of their cars and they will make their way down to us in a year or two.

I hope!

We have LED lights available right now...
http://www.aeroleds.com

DW Install

What's the difficulity level for installing the DW lights on a completed wing? I've put off the landing/ taxi light decision thinking I'd go with a wingtip light, but am re-thinking the DW lights.

Pics of led options installed.

What i would love to see is pics of someone who has used creatives/jeffs or similar tip LED lights, and the aerosun (Sp?) smaller 2 light set in the wings. I would think this is ample light for occassional night flights, should light the plane up like a christmas tree, has built in wig wag and is a nice mix of the latest offerings. Modern and pretty effective and way different. Anyone out there doing an install like that?

LED lights

What i would love to see is pics of someone who has used creatives/jeffs or similar tip LED lights, and the aerosun (Sp?) smaller 2 light set in the wings. I would think this is ample light for occassional night flights, should light the plane up like a christmas tree, has built in wig wag and is a nice mix of the latest offerings. Modern and pretty effective and way different. Anyone out there doing an install like that?

I've ordered Jeff's nav LEDs, and I have 2 of the AeroSUN 1600s (leading edge install). I've also ordered the KEStrobes combo tailight (LED/Strobe). It'll be a while before I have it all together of course, but I'm really looking forward to having LEDs all the way around!