Davepar

Well Known Member
The Duckworks landing lights and Advanced Flight AOA ports both want to be installed in the most outboard wing bay. Will the light interfere with the AOA reading? I remember reading about this quite a while ago, but can't remember the outcome.

Thanks,
Dave

I read a post awhile ago about this. The punch line was that the duckworks landing light did not affect the AOA readings.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but which wing are you mounting your ports in?

Guy

I debating quite a while but settled on this arrangement, mainly to balance the space in the wiring snap bushings:
Left: AOA, pitot
Right: autopilot servo, VOR & MB antennas

Dave:

I had an email exchange last year with Rob Hickman specifically about this. He said there will be no impact. Put them both where indicated.

Jekyll

No problems. I have the duckworks on both wings and the AOA. The AOA is quite a ways behind the light mounts. If I remember right the RV-10 and the other RV's have about the same measurment from the spar for the AOA holes. Incidently, I haven't calibrated the AOA yet on the RV-10 and it very close. It comes on maybe 3 knots too early but was quite close. I'm going flying this afternoon and that is on my list to do.

AOA water drain

Are people really drilling the hole in the bottom of the wing to allow access to the air/water separator on the top AOA port? I want to ask and be sure it's really necessary before drilling the hole.

Thanks.

AOA water drain - yes

I drilling the drain hole for mine. I also fabbed a guide tube so that I will actually be able to get the rod into the upper drain.

guide tube and help to measure?

Rick_A said:
I drilling the drain hole for mine. I also fabbed a guide tube so that I will actually be able to get the rod into the upper drain.
Hi Rick - can you post a picture of your guide tube?? I'm about to install these ports on my RV-9A.

Also, the manual calls for the ports to be "11 inches aft of the leading edge measured along the chord line" How do I measure that? I wish it said "xx inches aft from the leading edge measured along the wing camber", then I could use a piece of string. I notice that this is a problem for us -9 guys, since the 4/6/7/8 measurement is given as forward from the wing skin break at the spar.

Thanks for any help,

Guide tube

I don't have a picture of the guide tube on hand but I take one soon and post it.

It's nothing fancy. I used a piece of the same pvc conduit (sprinkler system stuff that I bought at HD) that I used for wiring conduit. I made a large "washer" for some AL sheet and prosealed the tube to the washer. After it set up, I prosealed the washer to the inside of the skin.

Pics and words

I did AoA on mt RV-8 wings. I have a zip package of how I did it and some photos. Anyone interested then contact me off list (I don't want my meagre internet connection blitz'd!).

Cheers,

Hi,

Yes people (including I) have asked this before.... I can't find the old message either.

"I got a response from Jim to say as long as the locations are 2" ish clear of everything else, it is better to stick with the published position and then the pre-configured parameters should work."

We turned up a lower mount and use a piece of joining tube.

Web_Img_3582.jpg

Web_Img_3586.jpg

Word / thoughts start around here:
http://www.rvproject.gen.nz/part_R_wing.html#ID2127

Regards,

Carl