74Papa

Has anyone had any experience with Duckworks Aviation for Round WingTip LED Installation Kit for RV?

Thanks in advance !

Leading edge...

There is a natural hesitation to cut the leading edge... Get over it!

HID lighting in Ductworks round housings work great and look very stylish ;)

imageigy.jpg

I just got a set of replacement lenses for my leading edge lights and Ductworks made me a custom oversized set. Great company and great service. Kinda wish i had gone with them for the led landing lights....

Round LED Wing Tip Lights

I bought a pair of them and they seem pretty nice. As per the plans, they are just glassed into the wing tip cut-out and aren't aim-able. I made up a couple brackets so I will be able to adjust where the light goes.

They're pretty low power, 0.9A @ 14v, so I am going to use them as taxi lighting. I held the wires on the battery terminals of a running vehicle and shone them down the street, they're defiantly adequate for taxiing.

I have one of the 50w Duckworks HID lights in a leading edge for landing. It is many times brighter.

I researched lots of posts and the wingtip lighting was only "barely adequate" on A models and even less so on the taildraggers. I also thought about the wingtip LED, but the wingtip lights don't have the adjustment or beam to work well in taxi and landing attitude of taildraggers. For about the same money as the wingtip lights I installed the leading edge HIDs that I know will be more than adequate.

Pirep

LOTs of folks ask about "best landing light". Some what like the question of what's the best EFIS to put in your panel: you need to ask "What kind of flying do you want to do? What kind of airports do you expect to land at? Do you want to WigWag the lights?"

I previously wrote (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=87515 ):

I've been flying the prototype Duckworks LED wingtip lights for just over a year. I have a 3 position switch for my lights, OFF; WIG/WAG; LANDING. I WIG/WAG the Duckworks LEDs and for landing the Duckworks LEDs are on steady AND I have a pair of Duckworks HID in the leading edges of the wings. The LEDs have been on either WIG/WAG or steady for all of my flights.

The LEDs project a bright focused beam. The HID's are BRIGHT and a bit wider beam. The LEDs will illuminate the blue taxi reflectors the complete distance at Independence (7S5) which is 3100+ feet.

The Hillsboro Tower has commented how visible my plane is WIG/WAGging the LED's. I'll try to take some pictures in the next few days and post them.

(Note: Don of Duckworks is a long time friend. He was primary TC for my CH601HDS. I have no financial interest in Duckworks.)

Additional info. I'm very happy with my lights and would make the same choice today. The HIDs put out more light than the LEDs. I have an Archer VOR antenna in the right wing tip. Wig-Waging the LED's causes interference with the ILS, so I turn off the lights when flying an ILS. I have not noticed interference with VOR's and I have not tested for ILS or VOR interference with the lights on. I generally don't use VOR's for navigation.

Regards,