Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
Now that I have the engine and panel in hand, I just purchased builder's risk insurance. At the same time I was informed by my agent that since I'm a low time pilot AIG would require 15 hours of dual instruction in an "a" model RV. It would only be 10 hours if I had 250 hours total time by then. I'm guessing that other insurance companies will require a similar amount of time.

The only person I've found offering dual in a nosegear RV is Mike Seager up in Oregon. Does anyone else know of a CFI giving instruction in nosegear RV's?

As an aside, apparantly AIG requires more dual instruction in RV-8s and 8a's than in the other RVs. Bummer.

Thanks for the help.

Check this

Hi Guy,
There are about 7 of us in the US. Visit www.safeair1.com and scroll down to near the bottom to "RV Transition training", then click on the appropriate windsock, near you. I'm in Georgia. There are sites for most of us there, hosted by Safeair.

BTW, Falcon is much more lenient than AIG. 5 hours or so and I've had other -8A drivers through here recently. Aig didn't want to insure another builder until he had flown 10 hours in his airplane...the time he needs it most!

Falcon insures from hour 1. Call them at 866 647 4322 and tell them I sent you.

Regards,

Pierre Smith

I spent two days last week with Pierre. He was excellent and I highly recommend his skills. Very patient and extremely knowledgeable. His 6A is 180hp and flies great. Plus, Georgia is nice this time of year. You'll also learn everything you ever wanted to know about crop dusting since he does that for his real living.

My quote through Falcon came in at $2640. I have just under 500 hours and neither AIG or EAA Global required any dual or transition training probably because I am actively flying. EAA was a little more expensive by $102/yr but they cover you fully from first flight if you are an EAA member and have been using a tech councilor. Give Larry a call there at 866-750-8722.

I took the Risk

I took transition training with Mike Seager one day to familiarize myself with the airplane's flight characteristics but I flew the plane with no insurance for the first and several additional hours (probably 10) then I got insurance. I had something over 4,000 hours at that time so the insurance company gave me a rate that reflected the lower risk to them - less than $1,000 as I recall. At best the insurance company will just give you some money if you crash - money was not the major concern to me at that time. When I moved the plane to my tiedown at the John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana I had to have insurance because of the airport rules. As you can tell I do not have a high regard for insurance companies.

Bob Axsom

Montana

You might want to check Noel Simmons in Lewistown Montana. Check out blueskyaviation.com

Guy
I can vouch for Jan Bussell down in Florida. I got 5 hours dual with him last spring. He put me in the right seat of his 6A for the 5 hour treatment and that on top of my measly 120 logged hours was enough for NationAir to sell me 80K hull and 1M liability for about $2500. A week later I flew my 8A on it's first flight.

If you'd like any more details, let me know.

Paul Danclovic
Carver MN
RV-8A

Payson AZ

Dan Anderson in Payson AZ (KPAN) does it in an RV7A.

928-472-2502 HOME
928-533-1581 cell

dsa762mm @ gmail.com

I'm trying to get a few hours myself.

Barry
Tucson

Last edited: