cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I am getting close to needing to finalize my panel. I thought I had the design locked in, until I saw the Dynon announcement today regarding Foreflight connectivity.

I don't like paying the Foreflight subscription, but I certainly like pre-planning my flights on my iPhone, and then transferring them.

But my real question is to go with Dual Skyview's (this is in an RV-8, I know a bit overkill), or one Skyview with an iPad next to it. I any case, I plan on having my iPhone with me when flying, and having it side-panel mounted.

But don't just tell me your opinion, please also tell me why. What is important to one person might be lesser so to another.

I am using just a single Skyview 10" in my 8. I have foreflight on an iPad mini, but I find thus far (80 hours) I never use it. The plan was to have it on a kneeboard for maps etc but I've found that the Skyview has everything I need for basic VFR flying and it's so bright and easy to see right in front of you.

I like the new integration features so you could plan routes at home and load them up to skyview when you get to the airport, Might also be nice to put the iPad in the back seat of the 8 leveraging the AHARS and mapping to give them something to look at. But as for multiple Skyview's or mounting an iPad I've not seen a reason to do it.

First flight by akarmy, on Flickr

Andy - I think you nailed my solution in one. A mount in the back for an iPad. Pure genius. Thanks!!!

Me too

My 8 has single big skyview and mount for mini ipad running foreflight both front and back. I found it goes to the back more often, right on back of my seat. Now with two way WiFi sync of flight plans and attitude!!! :)

I have foreflight on an iPad mini, but I find thus far (80 hours) I never use it.

Got a similar setup but I do end up using the foreflight quite a bit. Being wedged in between NY and Philadelphia I see more precision in foreflight in terms of understanding/managing the various restricted/class B/C/D airspaces in all 3 dimensions. With just the Dynon I have a hard time working out the altitudes I can fly under/over them in various sectors which is important for me as I can't just avoid them completely. Having current TFRs on board including the stadiums in my area which activated based on game schedules and are not shown on the FAA TFR web site is a nice bonus.

If I would still live in Arizona I would probably not bother with foreflight either... .

I think it is really great that Dynon added this connectivity feature with Foreflight. When Dynon first came out with the new touch screen I immediately checked to see if they had included "rubber banding" flight plans on screen, but no.

I got spoiled real fast with the rubber banding feature on Foreflight and now that I can do that and transfer the plan to the Skyview I am a happy camper.

I was working on some final wiring details today, using my Ipad mini to reference various wiring diagrams from Dynon and EICommander etc. I saw the email notification from Dynon and immediately stopped what I was doing and ordered the WIFI connector without ever leaving the cockpit. Gotta love this technology..

I would love to add a 7" Skyview over on the right side where I have the panel space for it, and maybe some day I will, but for now I will mount my Ipad mini over there. With this connectivity to Foreflight I think the two of them will make a great team!

Randall in Sedona
RV7A IO-375 WW RV200
New MT weight 1115 Lbs, 108 lbs lighter than it was with the Sube:)

The real question: Replace Dual Skyviews?

If the question is:

Should I have a dual Skyview for redundancy vs. a Skyview and another redundant aviation backup device, I think about it this way:

1. A tablet is just a display and an input device. Apple or android, does not matter. They are self-contained, reliable and have built-in electrical backup and double in clarity and performance every 18 months. They are durable, well supported and have a good service record.

The tablet and software can offer additional features and functions, but for aviation quality support, it is primarily a display device.

2. The backup device is actually another aviation specific device. This AHRS or ADAHRS is mounted in the plane and communicates with the display via a wired (RS232 or USB) or wireless (WiFi or Bluetooth) path. Several vendors such as iLevil, Garmin, Stratus, Sagetech and SkyRadar can be permanently mounted in your aircraft, and provide aviation quality backup for your primary flight display.

3. In addition to navigation and attitude information, these add-on devices will now support the ADS-B infrastructure including traffic and weather.

4. NOTE: By attaching the display (tablet) to the primary flight instrument (Dynon), you are removing the redundant nature of the system. If the primary flight display fails, so will the tablet.

So, for me, I'll have a Dynon for my PFD, and a tablet and AHRS for my backup. The backup also provides flight planning, GPS support for navigation as well as traffic and weather.

CC

If the question is:

Should I have a dual Skyview for redundancy vs. a Skyview and another redundant aviation backup device, I think about it this way:

You haven't provided enough information to allow us to effectively respond to your request.

VFR only or do you plan on flying in IMC?

If VFR, then a single EFIS and a tablet is just fine.

If IFR, I would give more thought about redundancy. Build a decision tree to determine what your plan of attack would be should any device fail. Then determine what equipment you need to install to execute your plan.

Also, remember that two devices doesn't necessarily means it's better. If one fails, how do you determine which one is still working correctly? Do you need a third device as a tie breaker?

I think you have some decision making to do before determining final avionic decisions. It's all about risk management and having a plan worked out in advanced. Paul Dye wrote an excellent article on this subject several years ago.

A side note, you may want to check out Matt Dralle's panel (mykitlog.com). You would be hard pressed to get more on your panel than he did in his RV-8.