hgerhardt

Well Known Member
Just wondering where all of you with dual Lightspeeds have been putting the 2nd coil pair for the bottom plugs...

For the bottom plugs, Klaus ships a really long set of plug wires, but the lengths aren't symmetrical, which means the coil pair doesn't really want to be on centerline. I suppose I could always measure what I want and get Klaus to make custom lengths. Or buy the MSD crimper and make my own.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6 Flying

I was told to use an Adel clamp to mount it on the engine mount. I've thought about this and while I can accept that the wires will be ok with the relative movement between engine and mount, I am planning to rivet a tab to my mixture cable bracket that will put the coils just left of center below and behind the engine. I'll post pictures in a few weeks when I get that far.

I mounted mine where the L/H mag was by making a bracket (just a piece of L angle) that picks up both the mag studs (also holds the mag cover plate in place) and then bolting the coils to it. I bought the wire tool and terminals and cut the wires to fit (they were way long). The Dual L/S's run great!

One set is mounted to the top of the engine's aft end and the second is mounted to the top of the engine's front end. This is how they came pre-mounted from Mattituck on my engine. The only modification I needed to do was to turn the front set around so the spark plug wires came off the front side to enable the baffling to fit without interfering with the wires. The rear set needed to be moved forward about 2 inches which I did with a spacer attached between the mount and coils.

Here is a picture of the way it came prior to turning the front set around and moving the rear set forward.

dsc02023xj0.jpg

Mike, how did you deal with the rear baffle support? Van's kit has the support on the last two case bolts, which interferes with mounting the rear coils. I was thinking about making a doubler for the bracket so I could mount the coils to the top of it.

Re: baffle support

Patrick, I ran into the same issue when I did my baffles. I experimented with moving the coils forward by 1 bolt but then I had to removed the hoist hook and decided to leave the coils in the original location.

I cut the brace so that it only mounts to the rear most case bolt. In fact, I had to re-make the brace in the rear also because it pushed the baffles to far after on my TMX-360.

BTW. I plan to mount the #2 coils in the same spot that Walt put his when I convert over to dual lightspeeds.

Mike, how did you deal with the rear baffle support? Van's kit has the support on the last two case bolts, which interferes with mounting the rear coils. I was thinking about making a doubler for the bracket so I could mount the coils to the top of it.

My coils are mounted to the case bolts on the top of the engine using mounts. Not sure if they are supplied by Lightspeed because mine were pre-installed by Mattituck. With my fuel injection spider valve in the way I could not simply move the coils to the next forward case bolt. I ended up making out of aluminum bar an extension that bolted to the original bracket and mounted the coils on the other end. Sorry I do not have a close up picture as I'm sure my description is not that great. This moved it forward about 3" and now even with it moved as far forward as possible I still had an issue with the wires hitting the rear baffle so I used 90deg terminals.

Just wondering where all of you with dual Lightspeeds have been putting the 2nd coil pair for the bottom plugs...
Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6 Flying

I have my coils mounted on either side of the top of the crankcase. They are mounted on 1" by 1/8" aluminum angles mounted with the horizontal portion on top. The vertical part of the angle is held in place with two crankcase bolts each, and the coils mount to the top of the horizontal flange. It required a bit of relief work on the vertical part to make it into the recesses on the crankcase. I put a small phenolic wedge under each coil between it and the crankcase since the coils are cantilevered out quite a way and could vibrate up and down. I made all my plug wire lengths the same, about 23", but I feed the top plugs from the coils on the opposite side, and the bottom plugs from the coils on the same side. This is my way of doing it and I would not recommmend it to anyone. Klaus doesn't think that's a good way since it might result in unusual running on only one system. I arranged the HV pulse polarity to put the initial negative pulse on the bottom plugs since the thermionic emission from the plug center electrode adds to that pulse and I wanted more voltage on the bottom plugs since they have more tendency to foul. The initial pulse in the cable to the coil is negative, so if you attach the high voltage lead to the terminal on the same side of the coil to which the center conductor of the coax is attached, that pulse will be negative. That applies whether we are speaking of the single pulse PII or the multiple pulse PI or PIII. My O-235 in its original form was quite a klinker maker, but since I put in the 9.7:1 pistons, and with the EI, and with much leaning on the ground, I don't seem to have too much problem with lead BBs. My plugs are starting to be like the plugs on my cars. I pull them out and look at them and they still look great. I know they go more that 100 hours, and I wouldn't be surprised if they went more than 200 hours. 'Course at $1.76 each, why be impecunious or niggardly!

Mounted the 2nd set of coils to the mag block-off plate on the left via a 1" x .125 angle. Since I have a single-drive Dual Mag engine, the original mag gear has a shaft which fits into a machined boss in the crankcase which has an .080" orifice for lubrication. Since I didn't like the idea of that oil feed being uncovered and potentially starving the rear main bearing (the boss feed comes from the bearing supply), I made a machined spud to fit into the bore and block the feed. I bolted the spud to the blockoff plate Klaus supplied and used the same bolt to attach the coil bracket. Another nice part of putting the coils here is that the wires Klaus supplied are exactly the right length. :)

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying