db8

Well Known Member
Starting the electrical wiring and things sure are tight up front. For those of you with the GRTs on top of each other (HX or HS) in the middle, was there room behind the screens for the dual AHARS? I don't have the EFISs yet, so it would be a guess how far back I can go? I know the AHARS is about 6" deep and the EFISs are about 3.375" deep. I'm guessing about 11" from front of the panel to the bulkhead, which leaves about an inch and a half for plug ins/air lines. If not there, where did you put them? Thanks. Dave

Last edited:
The AHRS box is a completely and entirely separate box that is about a 5" cube or so that you can mount anywhere you wish. Many people mount it in the back of the airplane where pitot/static is easy to get to, but you can mount it anywhere. No need to have it scabbed onto the screens, I don't think I've seen it done that way ever. The screens themselves are all you need to worry about and you have acres of room in the RV8 for those.

Cheers,
Stein

The AHRS box is a completely and entirely separate box that is about a 5" cube or so that you can mount anywhere you wish. Many people mount it in the back of the airplane where pitot/static is easy to get to, but you can mount it anywhere. No need to have it scabbed onto the screens, I don't think I've seen it done that way ever. The screens themselves are all you need to worry about and you have acres of room in the RV8 for those.

Actually Stein, the location just forward of the DU's works very well in the -8, and I know of quite a few installations set up that way (including mine). You build a little shelf that mounts to the upper gear tower braces, and it is remarkable stable, strong, and rigid. With the shallower WS DU's, clearance was never an issue - the HX's are a little deeper, so you might have to change or remove back shells, which isn't a bad problem, but you get the benefit of having instant access to the AHRS by simply removing the DU's - big hole in panel to pull it out! (I have yet to remove my AHRS in a thousand hours and fours year...but I could if I needed to!

From an access standpoint, it is a lot easier to get at for maintenance than if it was back in the fuselage of the -8, especially if you set your panel up so that the entire thing is removable (also easy in the -8, as you know).

I obviously like the location - it is very easy to align, and is right on the centerline where you want the sensor.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul - do you have any pictures of the location and brackets? I'm planning on changing to a GRT EFIS this winter and am starting to plan the installation.

I talked to Dave today and understand more of what he was looking at....which like Paul says will work fine...just build a shelf and away you go. This is the same typical location we've done with the new G3X's from Garmin, and surprisingly their AHRS/ADC box is almost identical in size to the GRT. The nice benefit to the Garmin box though is that it can be mounted in any plane and then calibrated as such.

Of course the entire panel is removeable, but from my standpoint if you remove those big honkin screens you now have two big holes to work through. The -8's have their own set of pros and cons up front depending on whether you have a taildragger or not, but overall you can usuall fit everything you want or need up front between the panel and baggage compartment, just takes a little fabrication as Paul says.

Cheers,
Stein

GRT

Here are a couple pics of the installation, the AHRS has the black arrow on it. Stein did a great job with wiring!
321jk.jpg
423v.jpg
2nd pic shows a portion of the AHRS sticking out towards the baggage compartment.

Last edited:
Look in the folders/pictures area and search the archived messages in Yahoo grt efis users group. Lots of examples.

Last edited:
Try this:

This setup not only gives me lots of room behind the panel but it tilts the screens up for better veiwing. The AHRS is behind the panel and has plenty of room.

paneltilt2.jpg

paneltilt1.jpg

If I ever need to build a new panel for the Val, I'm gonna come back and find Smokey's pictures - looks very nice Ron!

Yes indeed

It sure does look very nice Smokey. Thanks for posting the pictures Phillip and Smokey -- pictures are awesome!! Dave