ron sterba

Well Known Member
Dynon owners, I have a Skyview 10" & 7" in my RV9A slider. Where did you mount the ADS-B unit,Transponder, Engine monitoring unit,backup batteries, GPS puck, antennas for the ADS-B and Transponder,and Comm. If you did it again would you change the locations based on serviceability? Would you have done anything differently? I have all my wires installed from engine components ready to penetrate the firewall. This is where I match up the (engine monitoring) wiring harness. Open to ALL comments, pictures great too! Thanks guys!

Ron in Oregon

Last edited:
I have one SV-1000 in my -9A. EMS is mounted (velcro-ed and wire tie) on the panel brace behind the SV, the battery is hardware mounted on the sub panel behind the SV, as is the 261 TXP is on the sub panel on the right side, the ADS-B is velcro-ed under the upholstery resting on the longitudinal brace by the copilot's right knee. All antennae are on the bottom except for the gps pucks which are velcro-ed to the top of the panel. Dan

Ron - I'm wondering the same thing as I just received my skyview stuff. Here is my plan for my IFR panel. I want to mount my 10" and 7" units side by side on the left side in front of the pilot. The radio stack will go to the right of them.The 2 Gps pucks will either go under the cowling in front of the firewall or on the dash (haven't decided yet, heat might be an issue here) the ARINC 429 on the sub panel to the right of the radio stack. The EMS and backup batteries, on the sub panel behind the skyviews. I was planning on putting the transponder and ADSB on a panel fastened to the fuselage side stringers right behind the rear cockpit bulkhead and the 2 ADAHRS units on a bracket immediately in front of the bukhead in front of the tail feather fairing. The 2 comm antennas are under the pilot and co-pilot seats and the archer nav antenna is in the right wingtip. The transponder and ADSB antennas will be mounted to the back part of the fuselage bottom appropriately spaced from the comms and each other. I don't think the transponder or ADSB antenna will affect the ADAHRS but need to verify. These are my current ideas and of course are subject to change and correction. Like you any input will be most appreciated.

Ron,
After receiving all my Dynon stuff it was time to consider the dual install
I have one 10 and one 7 inch display and the glove box.

I relocated one of the subpanel ribs to allow the dynon display to be directly in front of me and made a new rib that was moved and used the T handle pull rivet line for my tip up. So I still had 3 ribs supporting the panel.

I mounted the backup battery directly behind the 10 inch on the sub panel with the hub next to it.You have to pay a little attention that you mount the stuff low enough that the closing of the canopy does not interfer with their installation,
The EMS and ADS boxes are located on the subpanel to firewall ribs on oposite sides of the plane..for balance purposes. I mounted the EMS on the right and the ADS on the left.

ADS-B antenna blade type. I mounted the antenna in front of the spar inboad just next to the fuel selector/pump housing. Making it 3 feet away fron the transponder antenna.

The transponder is mounted on the subpanel low,
right behind the 7 inch dynon transponder antenna is located 3 inches inside the right fuel vent on the same line

I had to pull out my EMS once and it was a little pain to remove the co pilot seat and bend over backwards to unscrew it.
My dual com antennas are located both left and right about 4 inches behind the spar and close to the outside of the fuselage.

I will try to post you pictures in the next couple of days.
Jack

Last edited:
In my 7 tipup, I mounted one 10" screen on each side of the panel with a GTN-650 and PMA5000 in the middle.

I left the panel support ribs out because the radio stack and glove box are screwed to the subpanel and basically replaces the function of the ribs. The glass panels have a much smaller moment arm on the main panel than steam gauges so I assumed the setup would be strong enough. I asked Vans and they said a lot of people do that, but have no comment on the impact of leaving the ribs out.

The ELT, xpnder and ADS-B are behind the baggage bulkhead with the antennas just below. Only a 12" coax from unit to antenna.

Archer Nav antenna is in the wingtip.

The EMS, ARINC, Dynon Comm radio, 2 backup batteries, battery buss, and network hub are all mounted on the sub panel. I have full access to all the boxes with the canopy up.

Only the VPX box is under the front skin. I did not want to have to lay on the floor to access any of the electronics.

The pics below were taken when work was in progress. The wiring was cleaned up and laced and the system checkout is complete.

cbd681de-89f1-4d06-a67f-577af9bebd39_zpsf061f4c6.jpg

DSCN1193_zpsa6a9e2e0.jpg

DSCN1185_zpsc3e9bdca.jpg

DSCN1161_zpsda825071.jpg

DSCN1154_zps8caa7436.jpg

Great comments guys! What was suggested to me is consider when you are changing your front tires that you don't put a antenna in the lift point of the floor jack. OK lesson learned there. Gaining speed! Also I learned that Dynon does NOT recommend or endorse the GPS (puck) positioning front of the firewall. Its my understanding that the Garmin antenna is just that,,,a antenna with the GPS circuitry in their radios where as Dynon GPS is a combination of GPS circuitry and antenna in the puck and is subject to heat of the engine compartment. So my GPS puck will go just under my front windshield and right of the roll bar brace. I like the pictures Bob and thoughts of the short antenna cables of the Transponder and ADS-B units. hadn't looked at that. Keep thinking guys. We are on a roll! Great to have this forum website. $25 a year is really worth a million bucks!

Ron in Oregon

Great comments guys! What was suggested to me is consider when you are changing your front tires that you don't put a antenna in the lift point of the floor jack. OK lesson learned there. Gaining speed! Also I learned that Dynon does NOT recommend or endorse the GPS (puck) positioning front of the firewall. Its my understanding that the Garmin antenna is just that,,,a antenna with the GPS circuitry in their radios where as Dynon GPS is a combination of GPS circuitry and antenna in the puck and is subject to heat of the engine compartment. So my GPS puck will go just under my front windshield and right of the roll bar brace. I like the pictures Bob and thoughts of the short antenna cables of the Transponder and ADS-B units. hadn't looked at that. Keep thinking guys. We are on a roll! Great to have this forum website. $25 a year is really worth a million bucks!

Ron in Oregon

I have both Dynon and Garmin GPS antennae on a little platform forward of the firewall, and have had no issues (170+ hours) with them there. They *do* get pretty warm, and at the first sign of trouble, I've got the stuff to throw a blast tube in there to cool them down, but so far...no problem.

I narrowly averted having to redo the whole stinking panel when I found that the back end of my GMA-340 *barely* cleared the canopy when closed (tip-up), so much so that I had to replace the universal head rivets with flush pulled rivets across the inside middle portion of the frame in that area, to get 1/8" clearance from the connector backshells, etc.

I got lucky and got one of the Kate's Kovers when they were available, to protect and hide all the wiring (EMS, ARINC, etc. boxes and fuse blocks all in this area, so access is easy for maintenance.).

It was a lot of work, but worth it in the end to not have to pull off panels, climb in backwards/upside down, etc., to get to things.

I narrowly averted having to redo the whole stinking panel when I found that the back end of my GMA-340 *barely* cleared the canopy when closed (tip-up), so much so that I had to replace the universal head rivets with flush pulled rivets across the inside middle portion of the frame in that area, to get 1/8" clearance from the connector backshells, etc.

I got lucky and got one of the Kate's Kovers when they were available, to protect and hide all the wiring (EMS, ARINC, etc. boxes and fuse blocks all in this area, so access is easy for maintenance.).

It was a lot of work, but worth it in the end to not have to pull off panels, climb in backwards/upside down, etc., to get to things.

A good point I forgot to mention about my installation. While installing the tip up canopy, I traced the outline of the frame on the sub panel so that when I placed all my equipment there, I made sure it would clear the frame. If I recall, everything is mounted about 1 1/2" below the top of the sub panel to clear the front of the canopy frame.

Also, Flightline Interiors makes a cover that goes between the panel and sub panel to protect the avionics from water.