Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I have to Comant bent whip antennae, and figure to put them on the belly, underneath the seats (rather than the baggage area, or forward of the spar).

Quick, simple question...which bay(s) would or do you use? I'm thinking the most outboard bays, but is there any reason to go inboard one more bay?

Follow-up...far enough back to not interfere with wing bolts, but how far is too far?

(I suppose I could make a poll for this :) ).

TIA!

Steve-a-reno

Hi Steve,

I put them in the outboard bays far enough aft so we could still swing a hammer to drive the wing bolts in, and not so far aft so we couldn’t get to them easily since the seat pan is riveted in place….. http://tinypic.com/r/20kb33d/7

pk

Steve,

Because I placed the Dynon AP roll servo in the outboard left bay (RV-6), I ended up using the next bay inboard on each side for a dual Comant set-up. That placed the antennae 27" apart (less than the recommended 36", as Mike said).

With that set-up I had bleed over from comm 2 to comm 1 when transmitting on comm 2. This may have been due to my odd-ball radio set-up (comm 2 is a Kenwood emergency responder's SAR radio, 137-174 MHz). However, none of my shielding efforts worked. Ended up moving comm 1 back to the center of the fuse, and comm 2 to the wingtip (I'm hoping it was a speed mod too ;)).

A friend has the same radios on whips in the outer bays with no bleed-over, so FWIW, I would stick with the outer bays if possible, to avoid the possible interference. Others may have differing experiences, so YMMV.

Cheers,
Bob

I used the outboard most bay under the seats and the radio's still bled over on each other. I ended up interlocking the radio's so as to prevent this problem. Works great otherwise.

I have one comm antenna centerline between the gear and the other one is in the second bay aft of the cargo bulkhead. Transponder ant is just behind the cargo bulkhead. Never had any problem.