todehnal

Well Known Member
Have any of you Skyview guys considered a 2nd com? And, if we did add a 2nd com, would we need to have a audio panel? Food for thought............Tom

Have any of you Skyview guys considered a 2nd com? And, if we did add a 2nd com, would we need to have a audio panel? Food for thought............Tom

My -12 came with the GTR200 Comm which has the capability to monitor a second frequency, push button flip flop, one push emergency channel, and a built-in intercom. I don't see a need for a second one, but hey, it's experimental so do what works for you.

A second com does not require an audio panel. A simple switch will work. You will need to switch both the "push to talk" and the "com audio".

The last war

It seems we are always trying to win the last war. Avionics failures are very rare in this day and age. Dragging around a second radio seems like a total waste of time and money to me. Buy yourself a simple handheld for that rare emergency situation and use to listen to Unicom in the hangar.
Just my 2 cents.

If you want even more reliability, you can do as I did and add an antenna plug for the handheld that uses the aircraft antenna, available from ICOM. Simple to do and adds LOTS of range to a handheld.

Agree on the handheld with adapter plug to aircraft antenna. One note about the switch setup instead of an audio panel - You can't monitor a frequency on the 2nd radio.

If you want even more reliability, you can do as I did and add an antenna plug for the handheld that uses the aircraft antenna, available from ICOM. Simple to do and adds LOTS of range to a handheld.

Don,

How is 2nd plug added...is there a "y" connector before standard radio? With dangle end from panel o hook up to handheld?

Wouldn't that effect swr on in-panel radio?

Agree on the handheld with adapter plug to aircraft antenna. One note about the switch setup instead of an audio panel - You can't monitor a frequency on the 2nd radio.

Run the two audio outputs into a mixer circuit, or separate inputs on an intercom, then use the radio's volume controls to select or de-select. Then you can monitor both. You do have to remember to turn up the volume if you switch to #2, but 99% of the time it will be just used for listening.

I installed a micro air 760 for a second com and wired the audio output to my music input with a mute switch in line. I put in a dedicated mike jack and PTT since I only intend it for backup.

PAR200A

Tom, have you considered the PAR200A?

It brings an audio panel, hi-fi stereo IntelliVox intercom, Bluetooth, and a Trig remote mounted transceiver in the footprint of a standard size audio panel.

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.

Last edited:
Tom, have you considered the PAR200A?

It brings an audio panel, hi-fi stereo IntelliVox intercom, Bluetooth, and a Trig remote mounted transceiver in the footprint of a standard size audio panel.

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.

One of the important features of any 2nd com that I choose will be that it covers freqs 108 to 118. These are missing on all panel mount coms. With 122,2 now gone, I think that the ability to monitor vor freqs will be helpful. Also, there are a lot of airports that have awos on their vor freqs. I guess that I just need to see how useful 122.0 will be for us low altitude guys. Bottom line, I am thinking that a nav/com may be the answer, even if it is a handheld............Tom

One of the important features of any 2nd com that I choose will be that it covers freqs 108 to 118. These are missing on all panel mount coms. With 122,2 now gone, I think that the ability to monitor vor freqs will be helpful. Also, there are a lot of airports that have awos on their vor freqs. I guess that I just need to see how useful 122.0 will be for us low altitude guys. Bottom line, I am thinking that a nav/com may be the answer, even if it is a handheld............Tom

Tom, I think you've got your frequencies reversed. See below.

2015 - AOPA is reminding members that the FAA will discontinue the universal Flight Watch frequency 122.0 MHz for in-flight weather services on Oct. 1. ... Pilots also may continue to use the universal frequency 122.2 MHz, the FAA said.

Ooops, you are correct, 122.0 is gone, and 122.2, which was the high altitude freq, will be the one we use.

122.2 is not nor never has been the high altitude frequency; it's the nearly universal FSS frequency.

I was lead to believe that 122.2 was a universal FSS frequency, really only reliable above 5000 ft., and a very busy frequency. 122.0 was the preferred freq., usually available at lower altitudes with much less activity on it, and great for flight watch services. My comment about FSS 122.2 was just that the lower altitude traffic will now be using the same freq. that the high altitude traffic uses. I could be wrong, and I will monitor 122.2 on my next flights to see just how much traffic is on it. My apologies if my statements about these freqs. are incorrect..............Tom

I think some confusion over FSS and "Flight Watch".
"Flight Watch" was for weather updates only; not intended for full briefings, nor for opening or closing flight plans, nor for getting NOTAMS, etc. The universal low (below 18000') altitude frequency was 122.0. There was another frequency for those in the flight levels, that's what I thought you were referencing with "high altitude".
FSS: all Flight service functions, including weather but also NOTAMS, flight plans, etc. A very common FSS frequency is 122.2 MHz. There are often others listed, including 122.1R where you transmit on 122.1 and listen on a VOR frequency.

Of course Flight Watch no longer exists.