clutch22

Well Known Member
I can't seem to understand exactly what I need to purchase for a dual B&C alternator install in regards to the shunts, current sensor, etc. I am installing a G3X panel. It looks like the G3x sensor kit comes with a current sensing shunt.
So will I use the Garmin supplied shunt for my primary current limit/sensor, and then also purchase the Standby Alternator Controller Installation Kit from B&C?
Or do I only need one current sensor for the whole system?

I'm lost. Sorry if some of my vocab/nomenclature is wrong. I still can't seem to make it over the electrical knowledge hump

Or do I only need one current sensor for the whole system?
It depends on where you want to measure the current. The GEA 24 has inputs for 2 sensors, if installed.
Options are:
Measure current into or out of each battery: 2 shunts required.
Measure current out of each alternator: 2 shunts required.
Measure current into the aircraft main power bus: only 1 shunt required.
One hall effect sensor can measure total combined current of two wires that pass through it.
It is important for a pilot to understand where a current sensor is located and what the current display means. For instance, if the sensor measures current flowing into the aircraft main power bus and a low voltage alarm sounds, a new pilot unfamiliar with the electrical system might look at the ammeter and see 12 amps positive, then think that everything is fine when, in fact, the battery is being depleted and electrical power will soon be completely lost.

Page 3-12 of the Dynon D-180 installation manual illustrates the 3 possible locations for a current sensor.
A battery ammeter will display near zero most of the time after it recharges.
An alternator load meter will display what the alternator is putting out to both the battery and to the aircraft main power bus combined.
A current sensor in location "C" of Dynon's illustration will show how much current the aircraft is using, but that current could be coming from either the alternator or battery or both. In that case, the voltmeter can help determine the power source. If the voltage is above 13, current is coming from an alternator. If the voltage is below 13, current is coming from the battery.