prkaye

Well Known Member
The Dynon came with the Remote compass cable already terminated with female DSUB pins. They also provided a connector and a green and white plastic tool which appears to be for inserting the pins into the connector. How exactly do I use this tool?

You really shouldn't need a tool for insertion. You simply push the pin in the back side of the connector after crimping it onto the wire.

To extract the pin, the tool fits around the wire where it goes into the back of the connector. Gently push in on the tool until it snaps in. Now you will be able to pull the wire/pin out of the connector.

Last edited:
Phil,

That tool is really for removing pins. To insert the pins, simply slide them in the proper hole and push. If it is a male DB9 I will sometimes grab the end with a small pair of needle nose pliers and pull them. You will hear a very small click when they are seated properly.

To remove a pin, slide that tool down along the wire and twist it. Then pull it and the wire out at the same time.

OK thanks guys. Teh green part of the tool says "INSERT" and the white part says "EXTRACT", but it sounds like I won't need the tool for insterting anyway.

OK thanks guys. Teh green part of the tool says "INSERT" and the white part says "EXTRACT", but it sounds like I won't need the tool for insterting anyway.

You're right.. it's an insertion + extraction tool.. both.. not just one. And yes, in most cases you won't need a tool to insert.. but sometimes you just do (eg. 24ga wire :) ).. and you just use it to push the pin in..

If it is a male DB9 I will sometimes grab the end with a small pair of needle nose pliers and pull them. You will hear a very small click when they are seated properly.

:eek: No! Don't do this! The most common reason a pin does not seat when pushed into the connector is because the insulation on the wire has hung up. If the pin is not soldered or crimped well, you can pull the wire out of the pin (though you usually get lucky and the insulation gives way first). The insertion side of the tool both pushes against the base of the pin and guides the wire without danger of pulling the wire out or crushing the pin.

Not that I have ever used pliers to seat pins before ... (insert innocent look here).;)