gpiney

Well Known Member
I have a '-1' fuselage kit.
On page 8-28 of the instructions, It has me cleco up the F817LR-1 Side plates, F856-1 spacers, and WD-808 Front seat backrest. I am then to Match drill the feet of the WD-808, F856 -1 and F816-1 Cockpit Rails (#30). My problem is this.

The plans show 'no holes' where the 856 spacers and the holes in the WD808 feet line up. There is also no hole in the 816 cockpit rail. However the 856 spacers provided in the -1 kit have 3/16" holes prepunched in the location of the holes of the WD808. I could cleco the spacer on TOP of the F816 cockpit rail, match drill those two, put the spacer back in the correct position, and then drill the feet on the WD808. Or should I cleco the spacer on top of the rail, centerpunch the locations, put the spacer back in position, and then drill?

If any '-1' Fuse kit builder has gone thru this already, please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,

Seat Brace, Cockpit Rails

1. My -1 kit spacers were pre-punched (but not to final size) and my rails had two alignment holes for the spacers. The sequence I used was:
a. Clecoed the cockpit rail spacers on the bottom of the cockpit rails on the workbench using the two alignment holes in the rails. Double checked to make sure they were oriented properly! Backdrilled all holes to 1/8 on the workbench using the spacers as a guide. The small holes will let you see how the bolt holes in the seat brace line up when viewed from the top later in the assembly.
b. Clecoed the cockpit rails and seat brace in place per the plans with the spacers. The rail edge should be flush with the side skins per the plans.
c. Looked through the holes I backdrilled in the rails and the bolt holes for the seat brace and the holes were a little off. I used a couple of ratchet straps around the fuselage to hold the side skins snug at the seat brace; I used some 2x4 blocks at the bottom as spacers to keep the ratchet straps from kinking the bottom skins. This only required slight pressure to hold the sides tight to the weldment and keep the rail edges even with the top of the side skin edges. The seat brace holes lined up nicely once I used the straps.
d. Drilled and clecoed all holes per the plans.
e. Finished backdrilling the seat brace bolt holes and spacers from underneath-clecoed as I drilled.

Mike

Mike

Well, per the instructions. my rails/longerons/skins are already drilled and 'set in stone'. I may still use straps for final adjustment. Unless someone chimes in, I think I will cleco the spacer on top of the rail to match drill those two. Then put the assembly together per plans and adjust and drill the seat back.

Thanks